A Question for Bagger Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Bagger Riders

SWMBO and I just bought an 80 SG fully dressed. It has a Vetter bags, trunk, and fairing, with lowers, and an AM/FM Cassette. How cool is that? Anyway, this being my first experience with a faired bike, I have a question about the windshield. Are there any replacements available for them? Has anybody made one from Lexan?

Windshield

Scratched??? Novus makes some really decent scratch remover - sander Smitney or any decent bike shop First 2 then 1 then plexius or lemon pledge whichever you decide!!!

Comment

I don't know if the windshield is scratched or not...it ain't there. Well, most of it ain't. It broke off, and just left some jagged shards in it's place.

Comment

Windshield

Scratch the novus,,pun intended! I think it was talked about ealier you can get a winshield replacement from vetter or make your own just make sure you get the good stuff lexan I think don't quote!!! hair dryers work wonders!!!!

Comment

I was looking into a replacement for mine since it was made by Shoie.. and Shoei hasn't made fairings in over 20 years.. lol. But I ended up going to my local shop and finding out a few companies that made them. You can call them and give them the measurements and they can make you one for @ the same price as a ready made size. If there are any numbers anywhere on the inside of the fairing, you might be able to call the company direct and get one.

I have seen on here where people make them also from the Lexan. The way you guys are hands on with the bikes.. that would probably be the coolest (And cheapest) way to do it. Of course if it broke off on the 820 headed home in a rainstorm... Nobody's fault but assfault.. lol.

Tod
          Last edited by trbig; 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've made 4 or 5 over the years for the X-1 fairing. The last one I used .125 lexan I had left over from the windshield of the last gyrocopter I built. Cut it on a band saw and that was a lot nicer than a jigsaw I use to use on the Plexiglas ones. Just make sure you sand and file the edges rounded over and smooth.
            Someone once told me use at least 3/16 or even better 1/4" for the fairing windshield. But if there is any curvature to it, the .125" is plenty thick enough. No movement, flexing or vibration at 100+ mph on mine.

And lexan is so much more forgiving. You can actually put it in a break and bend it with no sign of breaking.

Louis
            "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
            brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
            '82 XJ1100J
            LED Dir and running lights
            LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
            Modulated H/L
            PIAA Driving lights
            YICS Eliminated
            750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

I bought one last year. I did a search for vetter on ebay and found them...
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

He is the site for Vetter replacement parts if your fairing is a Windjammer.http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Onl...Original-52467
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Try this link http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Onl...ndshields.html
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I just bought one

From Midwest Cycle Supply

for...............

>
                    > Here is the cost breakdown:
                    >
                    > $55.00 Bid for Vented Windjammer Windshield
                    > $12.46 S/H via UPS Ground to zipcode 53186
                    > -----------
                    > $67.46 Total Payment*

It's a Slipstreamer, vented, and fit perfectly.
                    Got it from Ebay. The listing says they are factory blems, but I can't find any blemishes.

You need to replace the screws with the clip kit. The top holes are not drilled, because that's where they break. Mine landed in my lap after I hit a bump.
                    Screw kits are out there, I got mine from Vetter.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

top holes are not drilled, because that's where they break
                      You don't happen to have a pic do ya.
                      Would like to see exactly where it may/does break to see if maybe I can do something to prevent it from happening to mine.

Fairing the only way to fly.. er..ride on the freeway

mro

Comment

Hey John

Wheres the pics of the new ride???

mro
                        btw, after riding the special with the veter then hopping on the 80G, the G feels small and nimble...very cool

Comment

Slipstreamer makes replaceent windshields for the Vetter fairings. You can get them from any dealer that sells Slipstreamer products.

They come in different heights. I bought a short one last year.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

and the journey begins

http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/...placement.html

http://motors.search.ebay.com/windja...ofocusZunknown

congrats john where are the pics?
                            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

pics

We haven't brought it home yet. It's still at the sellers house. We are going to go and pay for it today, so I'll see about getting some pics taken. We need to figure out a way to get it home now I don't own a truck, or a bike trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X