xj1100 transmission not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.C.,
    I didn't read that tech tip. I need to spend a little more time in the tech tips. It looks like it can help me when I get to the clutch probably next week.( Weekend pretty full already)
    I did put the bike on the center stand, but never tried starting it to see if the wheel turned. That's a good idea though LOL
    I'm not sure if I spun the basket or not, but I do remember having a little trouble initially getting it on until I centered the washer over the thrust washer. (As shown in the tip)
    I'll let you know what I find out. First place I'm looking is at the ball bearings on the other side of the clutch lever.
    KW
    1982 XJ1100J
    1980 XS850SG

Comment

HI Guys,
      I got a chance to take the clutch side off. I don't see anything abnormal. Ball bearings were intact. What's the next thing I should do? I can't turn the clutch basket at all. Even in neutral if this means anything.
      Thanks
      KW
      1982 XJ1100J
      1980 XS850SG

Comment

Me again
        I'm just trying to give as much info as I can as I try other things mentioned earlier. I went back to the garage and took the bike off the center stand and shifted into 5th and the clutch basket is turning. Hopefully a good sign.
        I was thinking back to what John asked about the shift forks being discombobulated. Would I even be able to get the forks in if they were put in wrong? (I honestly don't know)
        After I got the tranny back in, I spun the back tire around and the forks looked like they were riding in between the gears just like they should.
        Anyway appreciate the help again.
        KW
        1982 XJ1100J
        1980 XS850SG

Comment

I might have found something. It looks like the front of my clutch basket was rubbing on the inside of the side cover. There are some pictures under "feature testing". For some reason I can't get a color picture after I resize.
          Anyway, The 51lb torque nut was not very tight leading me to believe I didn't have the clutch in all the way. Is there some way to tell for sure?
          TIA
          KW
          1982 XJ1100J
          1980 XS850SG

Comment

Hey Kevin,

You'll probably want to pull it back OFF first, and inspect the oil pump idler gear to make sure it hasn't gotten bent or damaged. Another member posted about fracturing his because he didn't have it aligned properly!

When you put it back on, you should be able to spin the basket in NEUTRAL to ensure the gears are meshed properly. Then you can put it back into gear to be able to wedge it so you can torque the basket nut adequately!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C.
              I guess I did something wrong in the transmission. In neutral I cannot spin the clutch basket. I put the bike in 5th gear and when I roll around the garage the clutch is spinning. I measured how far the basket stuck out and how deep the side cover is, and I have about 1/16 inch play! I think this is probably right.
              Anyway I think I learned a few things about the clutch, but not sure how it relates to the transmission. Back to the tech tips.
              Thanks for the help.
              KW
              1982 XJ1100J
              1980 XS850SG

Comment

Kevin,

I'm wondering if you may have something in a bind. It usually takes a bit of wiggling and jiggling to get the basket back on correctly and seated deep enough. When it's seated correctly, the back of the basket will ALMOST touch the primary gear nut shown here...

And the splines inside the basket should fit flush with end of the splines on the clutch shaft on the outside face where you put on the washer... unless you installed an extra steel plate. Then the basket will protrude out on the shaft the distance that the plate is thick.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own