xj1100 transmission not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 transmission not working.

I recently did the 1st gear trans repair from the repair section. I tried taking the bike out for a test spin, but when I pull the clutch lever and put the bike into 1st. the bike lurches and dies. I'm pretty sure I have the cable adjusted correctly per page 2-12 of my yamaha xj1100 repair manual. I changed the springs in the clutch since the bike has 40,000 miles on it and I don't know any of the past history. Other than that, I think I followed the directions pretty closely. Any ideas what I need to check?
    Thanks
    Kevin
    1982 XJ1100J
    1980 XS850SG

A little more info my neighbor pointed out to me. The Clutch was working before I did this trans fix. I drove the bike around starting it in 2nd. I'm guessing that my clutch isn't doing anything, that's why the bike lurches and immediately dies.
    My other thought was from a post I read recently that mentioned the shift pawl and shift drum needing to be lined up.
    I didn't move the shift drum during the trans fix, so I'm back to the clutch.
    TIA for any help.
    KW
    1982 XJ1100J
    1980 XS850SG

Comment

Any chance a shift fork got discombobulated?

Comment

Is there any way I can check with the bike on the center stand?
        1982 XJ1100J
        1980 XS850SG

Comment

Does the rear tire come up off the ground when the bike is on the center stand? If it does, Then put the bike up, and shift into gear and let the clutch out.
          You may want to read this. It happened to me.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=clutch+nut

Comment

Put the bike on center stand and put it in 2nd gear. Take your shift lever off and pull that side cover. Underneath, make sure the marks all line up. Mine isn't in 2nd, so they don't line up... but it shows you the marks to look for.

But before you do that... With the bike not running, can you pull in the clutch and roll it around while it's in gear? There may still be problem with your adjustment. I couldn't go by the book with the adjustment on my XJ... I needed to adjust it out a bit more for the clutches to disengage.

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 09-13-2007, 06:07 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: xj1100 transmission not working.

Originally posted by Kevin W
              I recently did the 1st gear trans repair from the repair section. I'm pretty sure I have the cable adjusted correctly per page 2-12 of my yamaha xj1100 repair manual. Other than that, I think I followed the directions pretty closely. Any ideas what I need to check?
              Thanks
              Kevin
              Hey Kevin,

Did you see the rest of the technique continued on page 2-13 of that manual?? Did you also see the WARNING about not rotating the lever when putting the side cover back on or you could loose your clutch balls! This would then cause the mechanism to not function and would prevent the clutch from disengaging, hence lurching and killing engine!?

Stiffer springs would not cause your problem if it was assembled and adjusted properly, and IF you had put the star plate on incorrectly, it would have most likely fractured during the final torqueing! You need to make sure that the engine side clutch lever is pulled gently upwards to just snug while doing the center nut/rod adjustment. Hope you don't have to take the clutch engine cover off again!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC,
                I did read that part. I adjusted under the cover first, and then the hand lever. If I understand my problem, you think it's my clutch not disengaging?
                I don't mind pulling off a few covers to check what's been mentioned, I just hope I don't have to start over again to check the shift fork. But if I must so be it. More on the job training. I'll take a lot more pictures this time and send them along if I don't see something obvious.
                Thanks for the help everybody.
                KW
                1982 XJ1100J
                1980 XS850SG

Comment

John,
                  The rear tire does come off the ground on the center stand. I put it in gear and let the clutch out and then what? (Tire doesn't spin)
                  When I put the clutch in I was concerned that I get it in all the way so I used a mirror to see if the oil pump gear was meshing and it looked like it lined right up if that means anything.
                  I'm going to drain the oil, pull both sides to check the alignment like Tod shows, and then look at the clutch again. I'll let you know what I see. The basket itself didn't look too good to me, so I'll try and get a good picture for a more expert opinion.
                  1982 XJ1100J
                  1980 XS850SG

Comment

Cracked basket...
                    Had one of those.
                    Had no problem disingaging clutch and taking off easy most of the time no problem. Take off a little spirited and it made a awful weird noise and sometimes felt like the clutch would "lock up".

mro

Comment

Here's the shifter side. Bike in neutral.
                      Is this what it's supposed to look like?
                      1982 XJ1100J
                      1980 XS850SG

Comment

Answering my own post.
                        Just went back to a post on missed upshifts and learned the marks line up in second gear. Mine do.
                        I guess the next thing to do is take off the clutch side and check things out?
                        1982 XJ1100J
                        1980 XS850SG

Comment

Might have checked the basket first since you don't have to drain the oil with it on the sidestand... lol. Oh well.. live and learn. I hope you find the problem.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's my life story. If there is a long way to get there I will follow it. That is good info. for future repairs though!
                            1982 XJ1100J
                            1980 XS850SG

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Did you happen to review This tech tip on the extra steel clutch plate ? Note the thrust washer down deep in the clutch basket under the outer pressure plate?

When you put the clutch basket in, did you actually spin it around a bit once you thought it was fully seated against/meshed with the oil pump and primary drive gears?

Also, are you saying above that you DID try putting the bike on the center stand, starting it, and shifting into gear and that the rear wheel DIDN'T move, and the engine still died??

IF that's the case, then not sure what's happening, but doesn't sound good? Good Luck!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X