gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tanks

I just bought a XS 1100 SG in the spring and still learning about the bike . Can anyone tell me if the gas tanks on a XS 750 and 850 are the same as the 1100? I have only seen a few pictures of a 750 tank but it looks like it is the same size and shape. Thanks.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

According to XS Part Number Finder, no

tinman905.

This site ( XS Part Number Finder ) is a good way to find what fits what.

You'll need to register, but it's well worth it.

Go to Parts Finding and then Donor Bike Parts up at the top of the page.

They even list 650's as donors
    Nubee

Comment

Thanks nubee!
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

i had a 79 special xs750 for about 3 years and it was a smaller tank i beleive???
        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

I have owned both model of bike simultaneously, and I have attempted to swap the tanks, but they will not interchange. The mounts are different, and the xs11 has indentations in the bottom of the tank, to clear the valve cover, and the 750 tank doesn't. I believe the 750 tank is slightly bigger than the 11's.

Comment

That's too bad there a couple for sale on ebay cheap and in very good shape. Thanks for the tip.
            BDF Special

Comment

I have one special tank left in pile. No emblems, holes filled, no petcocks, has sending unit and gas cap with key. Black paint, some primer flat black near seat area at back of tank from a dent repair, inside not been coated, still good, not rusted out. if you need one. Use PM please andreas.

Comment

tanks

I have both and the 750 tank will not fit the 1100 there is a curve on the 1100 tank to clear valve covers and the 750 is not curved other than that the tanks are the same

Comment

could you put a small spacer on the part were it bolts down by the seat and connect the front on top of the mounts somehow. there was a universal kit i think in a magazine a while back??? some guy got a patent on somekind of universal hookup.
                  " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                  xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

I you look at the pockets on the inner part of the tunnel where the rubber tank mounts sit, on the 750 tank, you'll see that they are in a different position than those on the xs11. You may be able to relocate the pockets, to adapt it to the 11, but I think the petcocks are located in such a place that they hit the airbox, or carbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X