Fairing Vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing Vibrations

Just trying to quiet the fairing. I find it makes a lot of noise.

Besides reflecting the exhaust and engine noises back at me, I get a lot of buzzes, especially above 5000rpm.

It would give me a headache in fairly short order.

I was just wondering if any of our users has found ways to quiet any of the little noises from the fairing and lowers.

Also, the little hinge pins broke off on my Cycle Sound cover. It looks like they can be replaced with something. Anyone ever have to replace these?
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Hi Craz,

Have you used rubber washers with the mounting bolts?

Dan
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

On the main mounts (between the bracket and the fairing)?

I seem to remember my last Vetter had a thin rubber gasket between the fairing and it's mount. This one doesn't have one.

If I put some in, is it advisable to put two, one on top and one below?

'05 ST1300

Comment

Just on the top.

sandwich the rubber washer/gasket between the fairing and a flat metal washer almost the same size as the rubber washer and drop the bolt through.

Should help.

Dan
        Automotive Imbecile.
        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

On my Vetter fairing I had to just go over all the bolts, including the bolts fot the windshield. Helped a bunch. Don't foget the sockets for the turn signals. But it the then developed a pretty nasty buzz. After going over everything and not finding anything wrong I reached up to turn the headlight adjusting knob and the buzz went away. So look at that to.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I have the Vetter fairing madew for Yamaha, does it have that adjuster knob for the rectangular headlight?

I can't tell because the Cyclesound is in the way. As far as I can tell, headlight adjustments are made using two screws on the headlight bezel.

I also found that the connectors, that are usually in the headlight bucket, are all just hanging out behind the fairing, some touching. I will try and bundle them up too. There is no headlight bucket.

I picked up some rubber weatherstripping I am going to put between the fariing and the mount bracket.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I had the same issue. Tried rubber washers, different torques on the mounting bolts, ect, ect. Then, the light came on for me (might have been dim, but it did come on ). Spray insulating foam. I pulled all the crap outa the fairing I had stored. I used clear plastic tubing to run the wiring thru the front, inside portion of the fairing. I lined the inside with masking tape to facilitate future removal. I filled the front inside portion with foam and part of the side compartments, I only put about 2 inches worth here to maintain some storage space. There were drain holes there that I plugged up but that has not presented a problem yet. Once it cured, I was able to trim it back some to maintain apperances (how often does someone check the inside of your fairing ). It got rid of a substantial amount of the resonance the fairing creates. The fairing will always magnify engine noises just cause of how it directs noise back to you but the foam job helped alot. Make sure your run you wiring thru some type of conduit and make it big enough for future needs. I DID NOT fill the fairing completley, just the front portion and part of the bottoms. I tried removing some of the foam to see how the tape job worked and I could remove it completly if I needed to.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

And.. remember to keep the area around the headlight mounting bolts clear. Be conservative with the foam as it expands alot. Do not touch it till it cures, in the uncured state, it will stick to anything!!! You do not have to fill the voids completley and you can always add more if needed. This trick worked so well, I used it in the cab of my 32 year old Dodge truck with the same results.

Try a marine store for a new radio cover or some place like Overton's will em also.

Comment

Mine has the round headlight, so not sure about yours.
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I currently have a Windjammer with the round headlight and intergrated turnsignals. Ya wanna make sure you still have access to remove headlight and turnsignals. I still have the OEM Yamaha w/square headlight but it is need of repair and I kinda like the Windjammer look better. If ya run the lowers with the fairing, alot of the noise will go away but here in Austin, runnin lowers is brutal and I have yet to see a winter here that would warrant them.

Comment

I've put some rubber weatherstrip between the metal bracket and the fairing itself to see if it helps. I already had the rubber washers on the mount bolts.

I also found that my lowers were just slightly touching against the engine, on both sides, so I readjusted that.

I remembered, too, that I have the muffler on the right side mounted solid to the footpeg mount, w/o the rubber vibration damper. This is likely adding to the whole vibration problem.

Andreas is sending me a damper, and I will try that.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Yup, that can make everything vibrate.

Originally posted by Crazcnuk

I remembered, too, that I have the muffler on the right side mounted solid to the footpeg mount, w/o the rubber vibration damper. This is likely adding to the whole vibration problem.

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Got the exhaust rubber mount on.

It is much quieter, now, after all the suggestions here. I still get some wierd noises when running into a headwind, but I imagine thats normal.

Other than the fact that the fairing reflects a LOT of the exhaust note, it is quite pleasant now.

'05 ST1300

Comment

2 words .. EAR PLUGS ... many bikers wear them now. even with a full face helmet there a lot of noise when sitting on top of a 1.1 liter high performance engine.
                            Rob
                            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Actually, what I would like is a set of ear buds and a CD/MP3/Sat radio unit in the Cyclesound spot!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                              X