Pilot jets installed...Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skids,
    The only thing I can figure..is I had the carbs so far out of sync it was spitting..and the idle was too fast because of the cable adjustment. I have ridden around 30 miles and no problems now. I will ride tomorrow and see if the sync is still correct. I also made some adjustments to the exhaust ..I really like the new sound of the XS.

Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Comment

dont get scared.... mine did the same thing..yer idle mixture is close...but idle speed too high..recheck eveything(touchy on fuel level) my 81 sh dont like 1 and 1/4 turns...every carb is around 3 turns... give or take...Hope this helps..
      '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

Thanks,
        I did some adjustment on the idle screws and I am realclose now. Have a friend who is giving me some screaming eagle mufflers...I hope to install soon.. Thanks for the tip..

Shack
        Shack
        Oct 02
        3176 miles

Comment

Hah! You know that you will probably be adjusting the carbs once again after you change the exhaust system! Be kind to your existing system just in case.

Originally posted by Shack
          Thanks,
          I did some adjustment on the idle screws and I am realclose now. Have a friend who is giving me some screaming eagle mufflers...I hope to install soon.. Thanks for the tip..

Shack
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Carbs...

Hello fello xs'ers I have found a new prob with the carbs...I had a leak from the intake boots...where the carbs mount to the intakes...soooo I had a friend help me out with some used ones.. Thanks Tinman!!!! I still had a tuff time getting the carbs to seal...my clamps seem to be bottoming out.... I did a carb sync today and idles great and pulls hard til 6k and then seems to sputter... May be the main jets are not big enough???? I wonder if you can adjust the needle height on 79 specials??? I will stay advised from the board...I also have a backfire at idle!!! sounds like a popping sound...about every 5 seconds or so...any suggestions...

Thanx
            Shack
            Shack
            Oct 02
            3176 miles

Comment

indi filters...

did you have everything running good before the individual filters? Mine ran fine, then put on the individual filters and after trying many different jet combinations gave up. Sounds like you are having the very same problem I had. It was suggested that my filters were causing the problems that I was experiencing. around 5500-6000 RPM or so it would sputter. What are you using for a main jet? The only one I didn't try was a 140 which I may someday when I have the time. Everything runs perfectly as stock.

Comment

Shack,
                As far as the missing at idle, how old are your plugs. If they are the same plugs as when you were tuning the bike, you might think about changing them. You might have fouled one out. If nothing else, i try to pull mine every so often and clean them.

good luck,
                Nathan

`79 XS 11 special
                `94 yamaha XT225
                `99-`03 Formula SAE racer

Comment

Working...
                X