Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot jets installed...Need Help

Hello again
    I have installed the pilot jets 45's and now the beast idles too fast and gets HOT very fast..no test run just trying to get it to idle correctly...sounds like a vacuum leak?? checked hoses seem ok...I am trying to put indi filters on a 79 xs???
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

I assume u adjusted the idle screw... in the middle of the carbs.
    Seems like u're running a bit too lean if that doesn't help.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Idle too high?

Hey there Shack,
      With larger Pilot jets, you should be getting more fuel, not less without any other adjustments to the Pilot screws. Like Strom said, hopefully you first tried to turn down the main carb throttle/idle screw that turns and opens all four carbs at once?

Next, you may want to try turning your pilot screws, the ones sitting on top of the carb body, right at the point where they mount to the inlets, try turning them 1/4 turn in each one and see how it behaves, see if the idle runs lower. These screws control how much fuel is allowed thru the idle circuit, turning them in reduces the amount getting in.

Strom, his bike is getting hot fast because it's running much faster than idle, I don't think it's necessarily running LEAN, it's just running faster which heats it up faster vs. a nice ~1k idle speed! IMHO?
      Good luck, T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am not sure what the factory setting should be...I tried them at 2 turns out and it still acts weird....I pulled the indi-filters off put my fingers over the #4 carb seemed to idle fine i wonder if I have a vacuum leak????? also gas was spitting out of two carbs I am not sure what to do next??? over 3 grand the revs are incredible....I still have not rode the bike since I know it is not correct...The carbs may need sycned but I am sure I mam getting close..the bike starts up nice when cold..hot for that matter...any suggestions??
        1. What should I start with??
        2. I am pretty sure floats are same.
        3. I am sure the carbs are not in sync!!
        4. Is this worth the effort??? Yea just a pain!!

Shack
        Shack
        Oct 02
        3176 miles

Comment

I would try sync'n the cabs. If they are way out, you will be getting an unequal burn in all four cylinders which could cause some of the problems. Also, do the sliders in the carbs move freely. #4 could be stuck up some.

Good luck
          Nathan

`79 XS 11 special
          `94 yamaha XT225
          `99-`03 Formula SAE racer

Comment

Hello,
            None of the sliders seem to move under throttle...

Shack
            Shack
            Oct 02
            3176 miles

Comment

the sliders move due to vaccum. The throttle opens butterflies at the begining of the carberator and the vaccum from the engine sucking the air raises the sliders inside the carbs. What i did when testing them was to stick my finger in the back of the carb and raise them up slowly. I then pulled my finger out to see if they fall slowly or fast. If there is a good vaccum seal, they should all fall about the same speed. If one falls extreamly faster than the others, then you may have a broken diaphram at the top of the slider.

good luck
              Nathan

`79 XS 11 special
              `94 yamaha XT225
              `99-`03 Formula SAE racer

Comment

Thanx,
                I will give it a try.
                Shack
                Shack
                Oct 02
                3176 miles

Comment

hi shack,a better way to test them is to blow air in the long slot at the top of the rear carb mouth on each carb they will shoot up if they dont thats the prob.if you dont have an airline your mouth works just as well.good luck mate
                  mick
                  xs1.1s(x2)
                  gsxr1100(1127)
                  gsx1100g(x2)
                  trophy900
                  bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Thanks,
                    I will try that also..
                    Shack
                    Shack
                    Oct 02
                    3176 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Shack
                      I am not sure what the factory setting should be...I tried them at 2 turns out and it still acts weird....I pulled the indi-filters off put my fingers over the #4 carb seemed to idle fine i wonder if I have a vacuum leak????? also gas was spitting out of two carbs I am not sure what to do next??? over 3 grand the revs are incredible....I still have not rode the bike since I know it is not correct...The carbs may need sycned but I am sure I mam getting close..the bike starts up nice when cold..hot for that matter...any suggestions??
                      1. What should I start with??
                      2. I am pretty sure floats are same.
                      3. I am sure the carbs are not in sync!!
                      4. Is this worth the effort??? Yea just a pain!!

Shack
                      Hey Shack,
                      The idle/pilot screws per the manual says 1 and 1/4 turns out, so you may have them too far out at 2 turns, letting in too much gas to begin with. I read where a fellow had fuel spitting out of carbs intakes, he did a valve chain slack adjustment, and that seemed to help, got the valves closer to the correct timing!?!? You can take the carbs off and you can at least do a visual synch, I believe there is a link or tech tip here on the list on how to do that. You might have a vacuum leak, folks say to spray some carb cleaner or starter fluid spray,WD40, around the carbs intakes, manifolds, etc., if you hear the engine change, up or down, then you've found a source where air is getting in other than thru the carb. Are your intake manifold boots cracked? Have you inspected the inside for cracks, they can have weather wear cracks externally and still be okay on the inside. Also, the rubber surface of the manifolds that mate with the head, that, too, can get worn, dry, cracked, I put some #2 black non-hardening gasket sealer on the mating surfaces when I Remounted mine.

When you're watching the sliders, if you are turning the throttle very slowly as you're increasing the RPM's, you won't see the slides move, as the others have stated, they are vacuum controlled, and only respond under load, I was surprised to see that affect myself when I was inspecting mine. When you crack the throttle quickly open fairly far from idle, they should bounce up and open for a few revs before the engine speeds up and the vacuum stabilizes. Pushing them up with the engine OFF, and then putting your finger over the curved slot at the top of the intake throat of the carb will not allow much air to get back into the carb, and the slides should drop very slowly, but if they "plop" down quickly with this technique, then you probably have some pinholes in the rubber diaphragms on top of the slides, will need to be repaired. What you said about getting rid of the old bad gas was plenty to get you on the way to getting it running right.

Good luck, keep us posted.
                      T.C. ...just trying to help without hurting, right CHOPPER!!!
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Carb sync soon

Happy New Year!!! It was a balmy 79 degrees today and by Friday they expect a low of 19 degrees I have a friend who will help me sync the carbs on friday..maybe I can get the xs going again..but I am losing interest fast I appreciate all the advice and will let ya'll know what happens.... C- Ya

Shack
                        Shack
                        Oct 02
                        3176 miles

Comment

Hello all....My friend made it..only 2 months to get unbusy..but I am very glad he took the time...just like folks on the sight who have helped..I finally got it running correct today.....So I will test ride soon...I appreciate everyones help//I will let ya know if there is any performance increase....

Shack
                          Shack
                          Oct 02
                          3176 miles

Comment

Well I took her out for a test run......I am glad the bike is running now...the main reason the bike was idle-ing too high was the cable needed adjustment...I love the new sound the ole XS makes now, I don't think it is a fast bike but definately faster than stock... I now am ready for the Texas Lite rally in two weeks..I hope.... Thanks again for everyones help..

Shack
                            Shack
                            Oct 02
                            3176 miles

Comment

As long as you are happy with it! I still wonder about the gas spitting backwards, however.

Originally posted by Shack
                              Well I took her out for a test run......I am glad the bike is running now...the main reason the bike was idle-ing too high was the cable needed adjustment...Shack
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X