Brake Piston Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Piston Problem

I took the brake piston out and cleaned it. Now I can't get it back in the caliper. I did not replace anything or use a rebuild kit. How do I go about getting it back in?

Remove the seal and clean out the corrosion out from under the seal. Often you can put it back together with the old parts without it leaking...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Brakes

It looks like I will need to replace the seal. I tore it up a bit trying to get it into there.

Comment

If you get the new seal with the kit make sure you use lots of the assembly lube. If you have an old seal and want to put it back in make sure you clean everything with just brake fluid and lube it all with brake fluid, it should slide right in. If you don't lube it and try to put in back in you'll probably scrath the crap out of it.
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Grant
          Partsnmore has the rebuild kits at a reasonable cost and master cylinder kits as well.
          I have had the caliper pistons apart on both my XS' and if you are very carefull they should go right back together.
          Make sure everything is spotless and smooth, use a generous amount of fresh brake fluid (but not enough that it squirts out all over and screws up the paint on the caliper ) and slide the piston right in. If it isn't going it is probably tipped a little, adjust and try again.
          Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
          XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Be carefull with a K@L rebuild kit. Sometimes the square O-ring is to large and causes the piston to stick.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
            X