Octopus Mess!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more help with fuel T's

I have the 79 special.. I have got carbs with 4 fuel inlet hookups, 2 top 2 bottom. how do i hook them in? Do i need to T the lines that should be going in? 2 lines go to octy, 2 have a T split and one goes to the octy while the other goes to the carbs. So, How do I connect the other 2 inlets on the carbs?

Comment

This is how it goes with the stock components. The lines marked #20 go to the fuel tees between the carburetors. What I did was plumb the left petcock to the right carburetors and the right petcock to the left carburetors. This gives me a lot more slack when I have to do maintenance.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I think you are confusing the vent Ts on top for another set of fuel Ts.

You have four Ts, two on bottom take fuel lines from the Ts, marked 20 in Marty's diagram. The two on top are air vents for the fuel bowls. They go to the air box nipples, at the top of the air box, above the nozzles to the carbs.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks. My bike is later, so I'm not really familiar with the vent tees. I got caught up in the hose routing.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Thanks! That really helps me a lot!!! It has been a LONG time since I have had original carbs on the bike!!!!

Comment

Five words...... Just get rid of it !!!
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                Five words...... Just get rid of it !!!
                -1 on that. Keep it as it is always a safeguard in case other parts fail.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I'm with Rasputin on that. I find myself walking away from the bike with the petcocks on quite often. For me, the vacuum shutoff stays.

I have a '83 XS650. It has a side stand switch that kills the engine if I put it in gear with the side stand down. Have I ever driven off on the XS11 with the side stand down? ....yep.

Maybe I have these issues because I'm accustomed to the safety devices. I admit, the more there are, the more clutter in the systems. I think each individual needs to decide for himself which safety devices he can comfortably live without. I certainly don't believe the octy is universally bad.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

My octy failed. Got a used replacement. It failed. Got a kit. Put in a new diaphragm. It failed. I'm running manual now. Occasionally I fail. I will put the octy back in when I find another diaphragm that doesn't leak. Bike runs same either way,
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                      My octy failed. Got a used replacement. It failed. Got a kit. Put in a new diaphragm. It failed. I'm running manual now. Occasionally I fail. I will put the octy back in when I find another diaphragm that doesn't leak. Bike runs same either way,
                      I have posted this link before. I found it useful.

Rebuilding Yamaha Vacuum Operated Fuel Valves (Petcocks.)
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Thanks for that tip! Now I know why my kit didn't work. I didn't clean anything, just put 'er back together. This is very helpful.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

My Version of In-Line filters with OCTY present XS1100SG Diagram

Hi guys, I am new to this as I have returned to my old habits only recently, having had a lot of trouble understanding the way to put in-line filters on the bike with the OCTY PRESENT, I thought I would try to re-draw the diagram you have already posted to help others too, hope it's ok!

You can view my diagram on the following link. Best wishes, Paul in Ireland.

http://www.kusadasi.ie/dir/displayim..._display_media
                          Last edited by XS11NEWROSS; 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM. Reason: no link present
                          Paul
                          XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                          X