Voltage Regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...thanks.

I guess I'll check the stator and jazz again.

Andreas sent me two and I just threw one on that he said wasn't 100% sure if it worked.

I'll go out and test crap later and let everyone know.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

I'm getting a reading of 1.1 for the stator and the field coil is giving me 4.1

I got these same number from two different sets.

Comment

Also..I ended up having to buy a new battery....the battery in it was a month old and when I had the electrical problems it fried the battery. I haven't checked this one yet...but I hope it didn't fry this one too...

Any ideas?

Comment

It's more likely your last battery was bad out of the box. Unless your bike was over charging and boiling the battery dry, the bike isn't at fault.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I thought that could be the case...check your e-mail Geezer.

Comment

After getting more info from Geezer I've narrowed it down to it being the Regulator...I've placed an order with Geezer based on he great prices and recommendations from everyone here. I cannot wait to get it.

Comment

Okay. Got the part from Geezer today. I didn't expect it until monday or maybe tuesday.

I put the tank back and fired her up..

What should I being looking for voltage-wise, to make sure everything is working correctly, at the battery?

Comment

At idle, you could be getting ~12.5 volts, and it should go up to 14.5 or so at 2k rpm or slightly above. It shouldn't go over 15volts!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Man...I must have something else wrong then...I have the battery on trickle charge right now...maybe I ruined the battery again...

It's at about 11.9 sitting in the bike...I turn the key on and it drops down a bit..not sure exact numbers...then when I start it up it goes back up..but not over 12...I can rev it and watch the numbers climb a bit...but not over 13....

Comment

I think everything is actually working...just the battery may be weak.

Voltage drops when the key is turned on...then when I start it it just right up to where it was pretty much....when I rev it to about 2K its almost 12.

When I let of Rev it drops...but not below what it was to begin with.

I can watch the voltage climb or drop depending on the rev...so I'd assume it's working...just my battery needs to be charged more or I hurt it a bit.

Sounds like everything is working now though right?

Comment

Okay...it's up to 12 volts finally after being charged a bit. What should it be at just sitting, with nothing turned on?

When I start it up it drops to 11.47 and when I rev it to just under 2k its only 11.77.

So do you guys think I still have a charging problem or its the battery?

Comment

Answered my own question I guess.

Just went out and checked the voltage on my dad's bike.

I guess I'll let it trickle charge a bit longer. It's only been about 3-4 hours.

Comment

Just sitting with a full charge, a healthy battery will read something like 12.7 volts. While cranking, it should drop down to something like 9 volts (as long as you get it cranking fast, that is good enuf). With the headlight on at idle, you can watch the volts slowly drop until the battery is not capable of running the bike (like 10 volts). At least that is what it is like with a stock VR. Break-even charging (battery charge holding with voltage of battery) is at something like 1400 or 1500 rpms with a stock VR. This is why I like the ability to turn off the headlight is I am stuck in stop-n-go traffic. Of course, Geezer's VR may be a lot better.

Originally posted by DenzComp
                            Answered my own question I guess.

Just went out and checked the voltage on my dad's bike.

I guess I'll let it trickle charge a bit longer. It's only been about 3-4 hours.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I just got in from Canada and I'm beat so I'll keep this short.

Check the voltage between the red wire from the reg/rec unit and ground.

It's a common misconception that you can check the charging across battery terminals. All this will tell you is how much power is in the battery.

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

where can I test this without taking the gas tank back off?

Comment

Working...
                                X