clutch switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch switch replacement

My clutch switch is broken the wire is ripped off, I can only start in neutral which is a pain in the ass. I've searched and searched and I see plenty of threads about disabling it, but none about replacing it and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the damn thing (unless it's stuck which would explain why it won't come out) Has anyone replaced it? I would disable it but I'm afraid some idiot (could be a state inspection or other unforeseen event) will try to start it in gear and go for an unexpected ride.
    1982 XJ1100
    1982 XJ650 (needs help)

Pretty sure it's the same as the front brake switch.
    Small metal clamp on it. Been awhile but think you just use a small screw driver to pry clamp away a little and switch should come off.

mro

Comment

If you look at the underside of the lever, you will see a small square hole by the switch. That is the release mechanism for the switch. Just stick a small stiff wire, or little screw driver in the hole, and pull out the switch.You should be able to buy a new switch, as I think it's the same as most brake switches.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

cool, I will look for that, is the wire and the switch one unit or is it meant to be two units?
        1982 XJ1100
        1982 XJ650 (needs help)

Comment

It should be one unit, with connectors that will hook up to something in the headlight bucket. Check the Yamaha parts fitch online, but I think it may be something that fits a LOT of other Yamaha models.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have it on my 82 XJ650 (which I need to get running ) but I wasn't sure if it was a one piece. When I get home I'll test it and see if the switch actually works and if it does I may try a little solder surgery and get it working bikebandit reports the part for $16 and someone else is checking if they have one in the parts pile. At this point I've had the bike for about 48 hours and I have to say I do enjoy it.
            1982 XJ1100
            1982 XJ650 (needs help)

Comment

Working...
            X