carb holders ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb holders ?

Hi, Maybe this has been covered numerous times,but a search has not come up with much info.My bike seems to run flat until about 3000 rpm,then all hell breaks loose. Bike idles fine.Plugs show a rich condition.When bike runs the carb holders move in an out.They are cracked badly but when sprayed with WD40 I don't notice a change in idle quality. Have any members notice a big change in how their bikes run with new holders? Are after market holders holding up with time?The bike overall starts right up and idles fine,but seams a little sluggish in the low end.No problems with gas overflowing out of the air box.Any suggestions would be appreciated,Brad

hi greyranch,
    if ur carb boots are leaking,
    this will cause a lean mixture,
    if ur plugs are black and sooty and it
    is rich, u could try leaning out the mixture
    screws, try screwing them in half a turn at a time
    and c how they go.
    never bought the rubbers b4 so cant help u out there.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Don't even bother trying to re-jet the carbs until you get the boots completely sealed or replaced. Any air leaks will reek havoc on your efforts to get your engine running correctly.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Brad,

I just did a search of your previous posts, found the one where you provided a little more info(more is always better) on what your bike has, like K&N filter in OEM airbox, OEM headers with aftermarket turnout mufflers.

Didn't search too hard, so don't know what you've done to the carbs...like rebuild, whether you've put in any carb kits....perhaps with the mismatched K&L pilot jets which are notorious for being too rich compared to stock!?

Do your headers still have the crossover pipe, or is it cut out? Is there any baffles in your mufflers?

Yes, it's normal for the boots to pulsate like that, the rubber is still fairly pliable. Check your synch port caps, they can harden and although seem to fit over the ports, are actually loose and can vacuum leak, easily replaced from auto store stock!

With no crossover pipe and possibly no or very little baffles can affect your low end power, but you shouldn't have black sooty plugs either. Try the pilot screw adjustments as has been mentioned, and let us know about any other repairs, service you may have done in this area!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

carb boots

napa has something that will fix them its called performix PLASTI DIP in a spray can part no . 765-2527 black I used it on my bike and thay are like new jest clean them good with break cleaner and ruff them up good and clean them agen and paint them let dry in hot truck 0r car in sun to bake for 2 o3 days so thay can dry good and then use them jest do not use yellow lol . but it work great my boot had bad crakes in them i gave them ten coats of the stuff and it fixed them like new.

Comment

boots

Someone else repaired their boots the same way.
            Last edited by brownbear1000; 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Several years ago, I attempted to coat my cracked boots the same way, but the stuff seemed to just get obsorbed into the boots. But now that you say that it took you 10 coats, I can see and appreciate that, I just wasn't that patient! Mine were still sealing well, so after a couple of coats, I just left them alone.

I still like the black rtv method, and may try that next time I take my carbs off. Another technique someone used is some black sealing tape? I've found some black rubber sealing tape at Lowe's, and think that would work, but adhesives and gas don't always mesh!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

RTV Ultra Black, TC. That is the way to go. I even used it to protect a brand new set of boots.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

In the military, we used a tape we simply called "F-4" tape. It was like a thick rubbery tape that wasn't sticky to anything but itself. It formed a chemical reaction and sealed really well when wrapped upon itself, and after a couple minutes, you would just have to cut the stuff off if you messed up. We wrapped wires and such on the planes with it.

Anyone know of what I'm talking about or if you can get it out here in the real world? Seems like that would work well on the boots.... but maybe a bit too thick?

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod, are you talking about self vulcanizing tape ? I've used some of this in black, comes in a roll and looks just like fat electrical tape. Sticks to itself like $%!# to a blanket.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Ken,

That's neat stuff, but RED would clash with my GREEN color scheme!

Does it come in black??
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

boots

I tryed black rtv and it did not work it jest came off and the boots leaker and I tryed rubber elc. tape and the gas and heat made it split and leak and it made My throttle stick open. The plasti dip. is flesibol won't crack,chip or become brittle /insulates elc. shock,vibration, heat and is durabol resists weather Chemicals. reading from the can
                        it work whell on My boots oseaghdha
                        help me with my boot s

Comment

Ken,

YES.. that's the name of that tape. The only color I have ever seen it in was black... but had a thin green stripe down the middle that you were supposed to overlap to? (So they told us).

But yeah... good stuff.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I use that rubber type of tape regularly at work. Makes a VERY good seal and is very weather resistant. You have to stretch it pretty far to "activate" it and then wrap in successive layers. I've opened up fiber splices I've wrapped with it 10 years later and there wasn't a bit of corrsion on any of the metal parts, even underwater.

Rubber Tape
                            80 XS1100SG
                            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

tap

yes it works great on elc. stuff but not with Gas I use it all the time on wires keeps out salt and water but gass brakes it down and it comes off.

Comment

Working...
                              X