Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Kingdom for a valve spring compressor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, stupid question time..

Is there some trick to removing the valve oil seals?

Clymer doesn't say anything about it, just mentions "install bottom spring retainers and new seals" during valve installation.

I can grip them with pliers, but they won't budge (the retaining spring at the top came off one of them, but that's it.) One of them is now an oval, from me squeezing the pliers too hard, but it's still in there.

Is this normal, or am I being totally dense here?
    XS1100 SF

Comment

Grab and wiggle with pliers, that's what I did. Kind of tough but they'll come out. If you're replacing them then you don't have to worry about ruining them.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The valve stem seals kind of "pop" on to the end of the valve guides. to remove the old ones just grab them with pliers and pull them offwith a little twisting action. The new ones likely already have the small springs on them so just push the new ones on to the ends of the guides with you fingers. Do not distort them. Push straight down until they are fully seated. When you reassemble be sure to use assembly grease or assembly oil on the valve stems, bucket walls cam bearing etc. Make sure you put the springs in as per the manual. they are not coiled the same at both ends and the direction of the coils is reversed from out to inner spring. Check the manual for details about the springs and reassemble with care.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

if you have a big ass compressor, the seals can be changed without removing the head.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks again.

Got them off - good thing they're being replaced because they're completely toast now

Another stupid question - Clymer says that to check the valves for play, but doesn't say how much is acceptable (just says 'small amount') the intake has almost none, but the exhaust has about 1/2mm (maybe less).. is this OK, or do I need to replace the guide?
            XS1100 SF

Comment

Check page 56

mro

Comment

re-read your post

Unusual for valve gudes to wear on this type of head but $hit can happen.
                .5 mm would seem XSive
                Will check in my factory manual if there is a spec, but don't recall seeing one.

mro

Comment

found it

7.10mm is the ID wear limit for the valve guide.

Valve stem clearance
                  intake .020 to .041 mm
                  exhaust .035 to .059 mm

Sounds like yours should be OK

mro

Comment

Working...
                  X