trans gears 1982 xj 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans gears 1982 xj 1100

i'm looking for trans parts mostly 1st and 2nd gear can anyone help thanks.......
    "82 xj1100 ( the blind rat)

Look up the members, and PM andeasweiss (sp?). He has some used parts at good prices, ships quickly and stands behind the parts. You can also look in the parts for sale section of XS11.com. Don't forget to check the "tech tips", also from the main page, on the correct way to fix the gears.
    Welcome to the site.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

1982 xs1100

thank you for all the info and the welcome

Comment

What's the matter with yours? If they are jumping out of gear, just fix what you have. Even getting used parts, I'd recommend beveling them the same as you would your own. Otherwise, you'll be in the same position you are now before very long.

Tod

P.S. All the gears are interchangeable on all the XS/XJ bikes from 78-82
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

xj

it clicks real hard in 1st and 2nd dosent come out of gear just clicks and jumps all other gears work fine , i will be the first time i have broken apart a bike engine assy , not exactly sure how to fix it

Comment

There is a complete walk-thru in the tech tips section. Tells you how to take it apart, and how to fix it.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I tried everything I could find from in here and I found that I just had to go ahead and split the cases to get my gears out. Just got finished splitting them about an hour ago. I tried putting it in fourth (And every other gear) and no matter what I did, I couldn't make room to get the shift forks out of the way.

I wouldn't even attempt to do this unless you have a repair manual.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

xj

thanks guy's i'm going to just have to bite the bullet and do it ! i have all the parts comming i went ahead and bought both complete shafts all gears and forks and center gear , is there any thing you would recomend i do to the engine while i have it apart ? or any other parts i might need ? .......

Comment

Haste makes waste!

Hey Viaquest,

Those are some deep pockets you have, but you didn't need to buy both shafts of gears. Just the ones on the countershaft are the ones that wear....they have the dogs and slots in their sides that mesh together, the other gears on the primary shaft are pinion gears. Hopefully you can return or cancel your recent order, and only order the parts you need, like the 1st/4th gears and the 2nd/5th gears, they mesh in these pairs, and with both 1st and 2nd popping out of gear, that clicking is the gears loosing contact with each other, both are not staying IN gear!

The shift forks may or may not be worn, depening on if you are the original owner, or if you just got the bike, and the PO or you tried to hold it in gear with your foot against the shift lever, then the forks can easily wear since they are aluminum, and the gears are steel!

You have to go thru the clutch assembly to work on it, so depending on how many miles are on it, you may or may not need to replace the frictions, but most will agree that you'll want to put in new HD springs, they loose their tension fairly quickly!
                  T.C.

PS, Tod, sorry to hear about you splitting your cases!? From the photos I saw that you posted, you had the shift fork rod out, and that should have allowed you to move your forks around!? Well, I hope you got it back together okay! Ride on!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i bought those because they were very cheap , but what i got is the main shaft the shift shaft and the forks and a center gear im still needing the other two gear wheels !! aparently the information i got at yamaha was not correct

Comment

xj

i am the new owner and have owned this bike about 4 days , sadly this bike apears to have been abused somewhat prior to me getting it, but it runs really well , and it in great cosmetic shape , this will be my first non v-twin bike i wanted to experiance the performance of a crotch rocket with out the uncomfortable ride , and from what i have read seems i picked a good bike, i thank everyone for their advice , and help and i will put up some pics as soon as i get it cleaned up ....

Comment

Yamaha's Wrong Info!

Hey again Via,

Okay, did some research, btw, as mentioned above, you will need 4 gear wheels, not just 2 because 1st engages with 4th, and 2nd engages with 5th, dogs on one, slots on the other, ground to match each other!

Here's the info on the OEM part #'s, and comparative prices from BikeBandit, and a place called Cycle-parts.com! Prepare for sticker shock! After seeing this, you may think again about doing the dremmel fix vs. buying new!?
                        ---------------------------------BikeBandit--Cycle-parts.com

2H7-17211-00-00 Gear, 1st wheel $134.00 $119.00
                        2H7-17241-00-00 Gear, 4th wheel $140.00 $116.00
                        2H7-17221-01-00 Gear, 2nd wheel $104.00 $93.00
                        2H7-17251-00-00 Gear, 5th wheel $123.00 $110.00

http://www.cycle-parts.com/
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for your research , i am buying a complete trans from a fellow threader , anyone want to fly to texas and help install some parts ..lol i'll buy beer !!

Comment

Even getting a complete tranny... I'd do the Dremmel fix on anything you put back in. Unless it's the factory new gears, they are supposed to be pre-beveled. Yamaha supposedly fixed this problem after the fact.

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

thanks todd , i will dremel the S@#t out of them as soon as i read up on how lol....

Comment

Working...
                              X