price scams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglass panels

Hmmm...anyone ever fooled around with making their own side covers from a mold? I remember reading about some guys that were making stormtroopers costumes a few years ago doing homemade injection molding for the suits...
    Hey Snow

Click link

I was going to have a go at taking moulds for sidepanels and seat bases, once I have moulds I can do them just rough finished and needing trimming so folks can do what they want with them.

This way they'd be cost and beer money

As they are light they'd be cheap to ship

Tom
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Re: Total invested...

Originally posted by Hammerhead1st
      Never realized the left side covers were made of gold inlay, they must be for the price! Watched a few sets go on EBAY the other night...right side covers went at $5 each no problem.

LEFT side covers are going for an average $50 each!! Why the big diff??
      The left sidecover has a locking tab on the bottom that is opened with the ignition key. MANY people do not realize this at first so they muscle it off, breaking the tab. Next time they go riding, the cover flies off, then the car following drives over it. The right side covers do not lock down, so the mounting nib on the bottom rarely breaks, the covers don't fly off. The price difference is simply a matter of supply and demand.

If you ever do find a left side cover, even with a broken lock tab, grab it. The tab is easy to fix.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Most times the broken tab piece is still lodged in the mechanism. Pry it out and crazy glue it back on. Been holding for five years now.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I found an easy fix for that left panel when mine broke. I went ahead and cut the entire tab off, drilled a hole on the front-bottom part of the plastic, and put a zip-tie through and around the frame. It's far enough inside that you can't see it and the panel will NEVER fly off again.
          1981 XS1100S (former)
          2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

Most times the broken tab piece is still lodged in the mechanism. Pry it out and crazy glue it back on. Been holding for five years now.
            Mine for 20 years now
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

side cover repair

Hi, if you have a cracked side cover usually the best repair,if possible,is to grind the crack,inside and out,and fill the crack with epoxy meant for plastic and fiberglass repair cloth.I have repaired many plastic pieces this way and you come up with a piece that is almost unbreakable.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Re: Total invested...

Originally posted by Hammerhead1st
                Purchase price---$0
                Parts to make it run---$50 Batt and plugs
                Leaving the line with back tire squealing and front tire enjoying a higher view as the crotch rocket riders stare on in amazement...PRICELESS, dude!!!

I've been checking into parts for my 11 Standard...Never realized the left side covers were made of gold inlay, they must be for the price! Watched a few sets go on EBAY the other night...right side covers went at $5 each no problem.

LEFT side covers are going for an average $50 each!! Why the big diff??
                The bottom clip on my left side cover is broken, and reglued about 3 times just since I've owned the bike. I think they are prone to breakage, hence the shortage of supply
                1981 XS1100 SH

Comment

Have you tried turning the key in that little lock before you yank the cover off?
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
                    Have you tried turning the key in that little lock before you yank the cover off?
                    Lol, much <3 Prom
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
                    X