price scams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• price scams?

ok, so i go into the honda shop to pick up a few parts that are need for my bike, one being that ever so small plug that goes into the cam chain adjuster, i ask the price, it comes to a whapping $6.00....... does that seem right to you guys?
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Welcome to the world of old parts. You know the cam chain tensoner that goes between the 2 and 3 cylinders, just 3 pieces of metal that guide the cam chain? $100.

Trust me, I got my XS for $300, I've put about $1800 in parts into it and I'm ALMOST done. It's just something you gotta eat up if you want a classic like this.
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

ya im slowly figuring that out. This bike for me is an investment to enjoy. it sure does turn heads
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs

Comment

total around 3200 bucks including the 700 for my bike, and hundreds of hours, plus i learned something along the way, including that there are great folks here, irreplacable!! or rather priceless?
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
          total around 3200 bucks including the 700 for my bike, and hundreds of hours, plus i learned something along the way, including that there are great folks here, irreplacable!! or rather priceless?
          Motorcycle: $700
          New exhaust: $200
          Electrical parts: $100
          A web forum with dozens of people that have ALL seen these problems before: Priceless.
          1981 XS1100S (former)
          2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

[B] 3200 bucks
            3 pieces of metal that guide the cam chain? $100.
            I've put about $1800 3200 bucks
            Keep your eye out for a parts bike or two.
            Not counting the last two 79'specials.....
            I've got 2 runners(80G and the hot rod XS) plus, 1 80' MNS, 1 81' special and a couple parts bikes. In these I've got "invested" about $1,200.00.
            I've made back the original $1,200.00 plus and have enough parts to keep my bikes running.

mro
            BTW, only problem with getting a parts bike is that theres a good chance that you will decide to make it a runner

Comment

Total invested...

Purchase price---$0
              Parts to make it run---$50 Batt and plugs
              Leaving the line with back tire squealing and front tire enjoying a higher view as the crotch rocket riders stare on in amazement...PRICELESS, dude!!!

I've been checking into parts for my 11 Standard...Never realized the left side covers were made of gold inlay, they must be for the price! Watched a few sets go on EBAY the other night...right side covers went at $5 each no problem.

LEFT side covers are going for an average $50 each!! Why the big diff??
              "Rat Rod"
              79 XS1100 Standard
              87 VMAX cans
              Cheap Japanese Tires
              Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
              Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
              Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

I am probably up to around $5,500.00 including the cost of the bike but excluding fuel and oil changes. Still, not bad for for 26 years of riding. Try that on a HD!
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Looking to add a voltmeter

I want to put a Suntach voltmeter/oil pressure gauge on my bike but have no idea where to start if you can believe it.

Where would I hook up the pressure gauge? Obviously I'm not working with a Chevy big block so am a bit confoosed. Would the voltmeter go to the main ignition wire in the headlight?
                  "Rat Rod"
                  79 XS1100 Standard
                  87 VMAX cans
                  Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

I believe it is the same basic idea of a big block, Oil Pressure gauge needs to go somewhere on the pressure side of the pump, tapped into the filter mount or some where else, the wiser ones than i on the site should know where.

the voltmeter needs to have a good ground then be hooked up where the regulator hook up sends the juice back to the battery.....exp. when bike is running hook wire to positive and negative terminals, you will see fluxuating volts as the motor runs, form there just trace back the wire hook ups form the ignition sylanoid until you find the reg/rec rreturn.

Well this is with my one nights worth of knowledge from checking all my electrical system.

But ask the other guys first.
                    -Pod Filters
                    -4-1 pipe
                    -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Hmmm...anyone ever fooled around with making their own side covers from a mold? I remember reading about some guys that were making stormtroopers costumes a few years ago doing homemade injection molding for the suits...
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

When I added an oil pressure gauge I removed the OP sending unt, replaced it with a 'T' fitting, reinstalled the OEM sender on one side and the aftermarket sender on the other.
                        The OEM sender is behind the cylinders on top of the case.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

You do not have to pay so much for parts if you can live with used stuff. Cam chain adjuster price includes shipping (used) is $20 . That is an example. andreas

Comment

thanks guys

Appreciate the input. Will let you know how it works out
                            "Rat Rod"
                            79 XS1100 Standard
                            87 VMAX cans
                            Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Hammerhead1st,
                              The volt meter should connect to the BROWN wire in the wire harness. You can pick this up almost anyplace, including in the headlight bucket. It will be switched, so the gauge is off with the ignition. The oil pressure I would follow Pats suggestion. He has done this, it works, it's clean and easy.
                              Left side cover has a "latch" made of plastic. It breaks because of use and age. There is at least one company that makes a fiberglass side cover, for about $250!! Just keep looking, you should be able to find one.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X