Fork oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopwatchagot
    actually it does make some difference, just not much. I don't know what the progressive instructions tell you to do but the difference would be in the amount of unsprung weight moving up and down with the wheel. If the springs are wound progressively then there is more mass in the end that has the tighter coils. The center of balance of the spring is not in the center of the spring lenghtwise. If the tighter coils are at the bottom of the tube then more mass is moving up and down with the wheel than if the other (lighter) end were down. It's just like progressively wound valve springs. The more massive end (tighter coils) needs to sit still (against the head) while the lighter end does the bouncing up and down.
    That makes absolute sense I likely never would have thought of it.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I agree with Skids,
      makes no difference in how they perform,

ive got the sheet from progressive, they state the same thing.

Suspension isnt a part of unsprung weight,
      the wheels, tires, rotors make up the unsprung weight.
      i think even the swingarm would be included in this.
      the lighter the unsprung weight, the smoother/ more comfortable the ride.

progressive springs advise the oil b measured with out the springs, and the forks compressed, 5.5 inches from the top
      and if u have a special, a spacer is required, with the springs in place and forks extended the spacer should protrude about half/full inch this would depend on the weight of the rider to determine preload.

my 2cents worth :-)
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

You can't take your caculations to 10 digits when the spring "constant" is given with none! OK, I have no idea how many significant figures the spring constant is given as, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that its variability makes the unsprung weight negligiable.

Originally posted by chopwatchagot
        actually it does make some difference, just not much.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

From the progressive suspension installation pdf

'Install your new fork springs into the forks. Mechanically, it
          makes no difference which way the springs are installed. Some
          manuals will state; install the spring with the close wound end towards
          the bottom. This is done because sometimes there will be
          less spring noise. The springs will perform exactly the same regardless
          of which direction they are placed.'

Comment

Working...
          X