Fork oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork oil weight

I ordered some parts to rebuild my forks.
    New progressive springs, piston ring, oil seal and air gasket.
    In the manual it says to use 10wt oil. What would happen if I used 15wt oil?
    I assume that the oil is there to slow the piston down while lubricating it so the 15wt would make it stiffer?

Thanks,
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Yes.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'm about to upgrade to progressive springs and change out the fork oil at the same time. I was thinking about trying out the 15w oil, but I just wanted to see if it's a bad idea. Has anyone else out there has tried the 15w oil instead of the 10w that is listed? What did you think of it?
      '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

i'm 135 lbs, i had 15wt with progressives, and the fill was as per progressive measuring from the top with a guage method not the, measuring cup method and it was too stiff,

without the progressive springs the 15 wt was good but not as good as the pro/ springs 10wt combo

mine is a hard bagger and loaded front fairing now and the suspension is very tunable as per the preloads up front, so no need for 15 wt....stay with the 10 wt
        good luck!
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

10 wt has worked well for me with the progressives.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I'll stick with the 10w then.
            '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

and the fill was as per progressive measuring from the top with a guage method not the, measuring cup method
              Just got a set from progressive....and they do mention that the springs displace more oil.

What should that measurement be...and from what point? My manual doesn't say anything.
              XS 1100 LG

Comment

the instruction sheet from progressive is detailed in how to measure the fork oil, more is stiffer less is softer
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

ATF

Has any1 used auto fluid as a replacement
                  for fork oil.
                  Thought i read some where that some1 had used it.

id assume it would be a softer
                  feel, lighter than the 10weight?

Ive got progressive springs in the front
                  but the suspension feels a little stiff, the bike is naked.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

i had 15wt with progressives, and the fill was as per progressive measuring from the top with a guage method not the, measuring cup method and it was too stiff,
                    As I read it. It says the measurement should be 5.5 inches from the top with the forks collapsed. I assume that means compressed? Wondering if I should make it around 6 inches...don't want it too stiff.
                    XS 1100 LG

Comment

Oh yeah..one other thing...the measurement is without the springs installed...wondering where the level is with the springs installed. I would guess about an inch from the top?
                      XS 1100 LG

Comment

Oh yeah..one other thing...the measurement is without the springs installed...wondering where the level is with the springs installed. I would guess about an inch from the top?
                        Meant to add....where the level would be with the springs installed AND the forks in the normal position....not compressed.
                        XS 1100 LG

Comment

I drilled three extra holes in each fork and widened the others on the dampers, rods and stuff inside, there's even tiny pinhole breathers or whatever they are in there, I left them alone, also I'm pretty sure my progressive springs are unintentionally in upside down with the tight coils at the bottom, got the thickest fork oil going, 20 or 25, the front end is springier but stiffer if that makes any sense.

Comment

That absolutely makes no difference from the laws of physics.

Originally posted by pggg
                            I'm pretty sure my progressive springs are unintentionally in upside down with the tight coils at the bottom,
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

actually it does make some difference, just not much. I don't know what the progressive instructions tell you to do but the difference would be in the amount of unsprung weight moving up and down with the wheel. If the springs are wound progressively then there is more mass in the end that has the tighter coils. The center of balance of the spring is not in the center of the spring lenghtwise. If the tighter coils are at the bottom of the tube then more mass is moving up and down with the wheel than if the other (lighter) end were down. It's just like progressively wound valve springs. The more massive end (tighter coils) needs to sit still (against the head) while the lighter end does the bouncing up and down.
                              If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                              80G The Big unit
                              72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                              84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                              79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Working...
                              X