xs-o-s "help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strom's clutch adjustment

Hey TC, I know it doesn't make sense, but my clutch did the same thing as Strom's when I first got the bike. Maybe the clutch dragging caused it to heat up fast and slip? I adjusted the cable at both ends like you said, changed all the fluids in the bike, and the clutch was magically repaired.
    Chuck Olds
    79 XS11 SF (Special)
    71 Triumph Bonneville 650 (stock)

Comment

Thanks, TC!

It wasn't working well before... just barely.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Poor performance above idle

You might want to try the coil pick-up fix, or at least check. Using a multimeter or ohm meter for this test, check for resistance between the wires at the ignition unit, yellow W/Red stripe and yellow W/green stripe located under the seat. You should read around 720 ohms +or- 20%. The same for the white wires with the same stripe colors. If your read outside these guidelines then do a search on this site for "Coil pickup Fix". If you do not find it e-mail me at hunterbilly@msn.com. I did this a few days ago and found the wires broken in numerous places. I was experiencing the same type of problems as you but not as severe. The bike idled fine but had a slow response when accelerating, the carbs seemed to be loading up badly. This fixed my problem, of course the guys on the site, are the guru's and have helped me greatly.
        Red Baron
        Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

I quadruple checked the pick-up wires... before and after the problem occoured... all the testing resulted in the same... erm...result. 1 Ohm above the nominated resistance, both coils. (nominated is like 720 +-20%.. mine were 720 both... or sth like that). And yes, I wiggled the wires and all... tried different ignition coils, external resistor, TCI unit, etc... so I think it's not electrical.

LP

Comment

Strom this mt not be much help but i was going to say the same thing as T. C.
            Ajust it 1/4th to 1/8th a turn out a few times and
            don't forget the free play since you got a new cable now.
            If that doesn't work, do you have a big hammer. Yes i thought so!

Comment

The clutch, I adjusted.. almost... cant tell till the engine pulls OK.
              Which it doesnt... so, it's back to screwdriver, air compressor and bad langugage lexicon time again...

LP

Comment

Also check out the pickup wire fix.. i did the Deuce last year when mine started giving me problems...

didn't confirm it was the pickup wires till way after I got home (some of it at 20 mph, full out..)..

But those wires were broken.. the tip is on here about it!
                jeff "Wags"
                Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                79sf rusty
                79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Working...
                X