Kansas City Members/Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas City Members/Help

I just got my XJ1100 and want to make it as road ready as I can. Right now I am riding about 15 miles one way to work and will start taking longer ventures as time permits. I have bought a repair manual and done some of the basics, carb boots, fork seals, but would like to have someone with some knowledge to maybe take a look at it, listen to it and give me some input. I am definitely interested in learning. Most shops are outrageous and I do not mind doing any of the work, but I hate to just start throwing parts at it. There are no issues that are begging to be corrected but I am sure there are things that need to be done. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.
    '82 XJ1100
    '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

XJ's in Kansas

Welcome . Was it black with a torn seat and handgrip ?
    Check this link
    http://usera.imagecave.com/chadwickm/XJ1100/
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

not Kansas

Sorry wrong number
      XJ1100K
      Avon rubber
      MikesXS black coils
      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
      MikesXS front master
      Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
      Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
      Progressive fork springs
      CIBIE headlight reflector
      YICS Eliminator

Comment

If the tires are new (Within 3-4 years old... no matter WHAT the tread looks like) and it seems to be running well, get some Seafoam from Walmart and run about half a can each through two tanks to clean the carbs up. Besides that, since you have a manual, carefully follow the directions and adjust the cam chain. Might drain and change the middle drive and final drive oil, but make sure you can loosen the top allen screw cap BEFORE you drain the oil.
        There's a link on the left side to things you should be looking for in general as far as maintanance and such. But as the saying goes... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I know of one other person in your area with an XJ, but I don't know how much of the work he does on it himself. He isn't on here much though. Maybe he'll chime in at some point? I did drive up there once to buy an XJ engine... better beer on your side of KC! : )

We are having a rally in Eastern Oklahoma in the first weekend of October. Look in the Rallies/NA section to the left. We'd love to have another if you can make it. Great guys and even better to see a bunch of these bikes together.

One other thing.... PICTURES!!! lol.

Tod
        Last edited by trbig; 07-17-2007, 09:39 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have been slowly using the book to do some maintenance. I have adjustded the cam chain and clutch (last night) changed the middle and final drive gear oil. But I have not cleaned the carbs yet. I am kicking myself for not doing it when I changed the intake boots. I think I have an oil leak beneath the cylinder head and think this fall I will have to get the gasket replaced. I want to adjust the valves and am reading on that right now.

I have been reading about the rally in OK and would love to go. I was also hoping to meet some people around here that I could hook up and ride with. This is my first bike in about 16 years.
          That is part of the original reason for the post. But I will not take the XJ on a ride if I am not satisfied that I have done everything that I can do to be safe! If I can get the wife to sign a permission slip then I would probably trailer the bike there and ride on Saturday.

Pictures will come soon.
          '82 XJ1100

Comment

would like to meet up sometime but my work schedule for the next few months is not very flexible.....and I don't know much about the XJ specifics.

may want to check out the Kansas City Area Repair thread posted by Winterhawk. I've never met him or used his services but he has helped a few people here.

Comment

Give me a shout when your schedule frees up.
              '82 XJ1100

Comment

Make sure you have no!!! rust in the gas tank. Will cause major headacjes down the road.
                78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Seriously... if it seems to be running OK... don't pull the carbs off trying to fix it. Run a can of the Seafoam through it. I never tried it until recently.. thinking Berryman's would be just as good. The Seafoam is higher, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

If all else fails, the carbs are easier to work on than they are to take in and out on the XJ. Seems a daunting task at first.. but really pretty straight forward inside.

If you think you have a leak UNDER the head, I'd be willing to bet money that the valve cover is what's leaking. It can do some strange things. Mine was leaking once into the area around the #2 spark plug, leaking back though the air passageway, down my #2 carb holder, and right onto the fin that seperates the head and cylinders and running around the front... thought for sure a head gasket. Re-torque the head bolts to be sure, but go back over the valve cover ones also.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

My ears were burnin! Some one musta been talkin about me. I have a XJ and I'm in the vicinity of KC. Louisburg KS actually. You gotta watch those guys from OK.

Mine makes all kinds of darn noises, but keeps rollin. I'm not an expert on the bike by any means. It sounds like I've done to my bike about what you have to your bike, so we're in the same boat as to figuring out what's wrong with them.

I think on Sunday the wife and I are going to ride up to the Great Mall in Olathe and let her watch the MSF class, just so she gets an idea of what she gets to do when she takes the course. Not sure if we'll be on the XJ or the HD. I rode the HD for the first time in a while yesterday, dang that thing is slow.

I think we were going to go cruising around after that. Not all day or anything. We'll have to bale hay later on in the day so we'll probably be home at least by noon. You're welcome to tag along if you want. We'll be there early, 7:30 or 8 in the morning. If you want to ride along for a while let me know and we'll try to fix the time a little better. If you think you might show I'll try to ride the XJ. I have some wiring issues that are beggining to annoy me that I want to start fixing.

I'm planning on going to OK next fall....
                    Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                    '09 Buell Ulysses
                    '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

I will be out of town this weekend and next. But definitely want to get some riding done.

If you go to Oklahoma are you riding or trailering the bike(s)?
                      '82 XJ1100

Comment

Should ride it, unless the wifey has a bike by then, and wants to go, and wants to ride her own bike, but doesn't want to ride that far.

So I plan on riding unless directed otherwise...

It's not a bad ride down to there actually, one very good road near Taleqah for sure.
                        Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                        '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

not sure on the spelling of Taleqah...
                          Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                          '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

close enough. I understood what you meant. Sometime I type in cursive too. LOL
                            '82 XJ1100

Comment

Just PM me if you need any help. I'm no guru but more than glad to help. Since you're a member here the cost is next to nothing if not free.

I've been doing a few Harley's lately as they are the ones that seem to break more than Yamaha's do...LOL

I have the computer hookup for Harley efi's codes. I like my '02 Ultra but the XS1100's are still my favorite next to my Seca Turbo.

Bob Jones got mad at me when I bought a Harley
                              "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                              X