One more question on the 750 mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ray

I have a standard, with the 17" rear rim.
    Me too.

Like you say the Standards are about perfect for good cruising AND acceleration, I was thinking of using the 18" wheel I have for European trips with my missus on the back, where if I accelerate hard I get a punch in the kidney so I would only need good Gas mileage.

I agree, the Standard with the 17" rear is really good, but when I hear you lads on about the 750 mod I can't help being interested.

I didn't know whether it was the 16" rear wheeled Specials that the mod was being done to coz the 16" wheel geared the Specials lower than the Standards, and the 750 mod brought the Specials in line with Standards.

I'm building a monoshocked XS11 using a 16" rear wheel and thought the 750 mod would bring the revs-vs-speed back to Standard levels.

I think I will have a go at all of the ideas/mods, and in the end preference will come down to individual riding styles.
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Tom,
      with the mono-shock setup, you have more of a selection of final drives to choose from......check out the Yamaha Final (shaft) Drives thread.

I picked up an XJ750 drive (and shaft) from ebay for $19.00 with shipping. Have yet to install it on my LH

Also picked up a V Star 650 swingarm for cheap. If the shaft and pivots line up with little/no modification, I'll be adapting this mono-shock arm to the LH as well. I also have an R1 shock I was thinking of using....seems this combo would be very similar to your setup!

Comment

Thanks Brian

Can you do me some photo's when you get somewhere with it, sounds interesting.

Yep, the R1 shock is very similar to the Fazer 1000 shock I'm using.
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
        X