push start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push start

batteries a little long in the tooth. curious correct procedure push start. Never done

If the battery is too far gone, push starting may still not work. Once the voltage levels drops below a certain magic level, the TCI will not work properly to fire the plugs.

Other than that, push starting should be much like it would be with any other 700 pound dead weight of a bike. Point it down a bit of a grade, get it rolling, hop on without tipping over, clutch in, pop it up into second, stand up on the pegs, drop your arse down and drop the clutch, hope it work the first time unless you have lots more downhill grade.

Oh, you'll also want to have the key in, ignition turned on, kill switch set to run.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I once push-started my 56 Ford pick-up by myself. I was 17 at the time. Level parking lot to boot. Couldn't do it now. (wish I still had the truck).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

What was said with the addition of a "friend" make sure he's disposable or a really good friend. Use him for push power.
        I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Push starting motorbikes, talkin' a whole science in itself, it's all in the timing, the old codgers round the place used to have it down to a fine art but unlucky the XS11 isn't a Triumph, Harley, Norton, Matchless, the old pommie bikes light enough to get rolling pretty quick, one compression stroke to lock the tyre, put it high gear and either drag the clutch as you run, big drag on the transmission and hard to get up to decent speed, or hit the seat, hit the footpegs, feather the clutch and tweak the throttle and hammer the gear lever into 2nd gear - all in one hit. Land on the seat side-saddle if you're cool with the balance, otherwise you're gonna have to leap upon the bike in one skilfull athletic movement while still performing all of the above. Up to it?

Comment

In my experience, the Japanese 4 cylinders push start VERY easily. In fact, you may be caught off guard the first time you dump the clutch...

I've push started GS1000, CB-750, Bonneville 750, and just a couple weeks ago, we push started a CB900C about a dozen times.

Do not try and push start a VT1100 Shadow, unless you have a VERY long, VERY Steep hill, and use 4th gear.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

They'll start very easily - the hard part is GETTING them to start very easily...

Comment

All my bikes have always started very easily. Even the GT-750 with the blown crankcase seals.

'05 ST1300

Comment

A couple yrs ago I had a Yamaha 550 that I could push start standing along side it and not taking a step. I can't do that with the 11. But I do think the 11 push starts easily.
                  79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

This past winter I had to push start my bike darn near every day...luckily it's old hat for other bikes for me. As long as I'm not going uphill, I can push start it - put it in neutral, turn on choke, turn ignition and kill switch on, run along side bike (will holding clutch pedal) , jump on bike and dump into 1st or 2nd.
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

First time we push started my friend's GS1000 we thought we were in for a tough push, after having tried to push the VT1100 a few times.

What happened was, we both started pushing, me behind and Ed off to the side. When he let the clutch out the bike took off, half dragging him around the parking lot. Luckyily, he managed not to fall over or hit anything...

Oh yeah, when push starting a bike, point it towards the empty part of the parking lot!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Mine stalled out at a light not long ago, my wife on the back, I paddled with my legs(I imagine myself looking very much like a large penguin) dumped the clutch after turning off the key, then turned it back on, to kill the headlight!

Very glad it started right up, wouldn't have been able to get enuf speed for another try
                        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                        My Photo Bucket

Comment

dunno know the year ....

of your bike .... but both my 79s have kick start pedals stashed under and forward of the battery tray ... my 80 does not .... one more option, if you have it.
                          80G Mini-bagger
                          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

start me up

i've only tried once to kick start maha.
                            i'm about a buck seventy, need to gain another buck to be big enough to kick this bitch.
                            dont know what the removable kick pedal is like for the xs, got the bike with a kick pedal from a 79 superglide, its got a pretty long arm, figured it be easy.
                            dripping with sweat, i just pressed the start button.

push starting; do gears grind when dumping the clutch?
                            i hate that sound.
                            One of a kind SF

(Do not take advice from this man)

Comment

My first few bikes were all kickstart only. The first one I got that had electric was a '76 CB360T. Later my '78 CB750-4K had a tough time starting when it was below 0 outside, so I would crank the electric starter for 5-10sec, then kickstart it. It would start first kick doing it this way. Apparently it didn't have enough power to crank and spark, but it would at least get fuel in, so that a kick would give it the spark it needed.

"push starting; do gears grind when dumping the clutch? "

No, you should have the bike in gear before you start to push, with the clutch pulled in.

Some bikes are harder to push in gear, even with the clutch in. Those you have to push, the thenl in clutch, shift UP into 2nd, then let the clutch out, all in a second or two, but you should not be grinding any gears...

The higher the gear you can be in when you try to start the better.
                              Last edited by Crazcnuk; 07-01-2007, 01:45 PM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                              X