Pulling/splitting the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling/splitting the engine

Ok, since my cylinder head is still out being redone, and the main rally I wanted the XS for, this year, is past, I have a question.

How big a job is it to take the engine out, split the case and replace my main and rod bearings? I have found some talk about it, but what is REALLY involved?

I don't have a garage, so I would have to take it apart in a friend's garage, so I would like to get it in and out as quickly as possible. As far as I can see the longest part will be waiting once I order new bearings, if I can find any.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Or... maybe I'll just push her into the land fill....

'05 ST1300

Comment

Several folks have done it, and like you said, a lot of the time is waiting for the bearings to arrive, since you have to split the cases to view the crank/case markings to determine what size you need, along with inspecting the journals for galling and such.

While you're in there, you will want to inspect and possibly replace the starter clutch pinch rollers and springs since you can't get to them without splitting the cases, could be a nice bit of insurance to just plan on replacing them anyways...they aren't terribly expensive!

Also inspect the main crank roller chain for Xsive wear/stretch and signs of it hitting the case/pan? Regrettably they are no longer available from Yamaha so would need to get one from a low mileage broken engine!

Also a good time to replace those pesky crank seals, that although can be replaced without splitting the cases, is much easier to do with them split!

I hope you have a manual, I wouldn't want to venture "down there" without one!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well, personally, I don't want to go in there at all, and given the value of the bike, I am still not convinced I should, but if I don't then this bike has had it. There are are far better bikes being torn down to part out on Ebay, these days.

I didn't want to take the head off, or the barrels, or....

I am not convinced that this bike 'wants' to live. It has fought me every step of the way. It's tired, it's been mistreated, and I think it wants to sleep. As soon as you mentioned more things that could be wrong with it, they likely became wrong.

I am not sure that this bike would ever be trustworthy. I'd prefer to find one that wants to live, and use this one for parts.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Ok, got the case split. One rod bearing was totally thrashed. Rod would move up and down 1/16-1/8in.

Crank looks ok, will need to measure it up, probably need a polish.

I am going to need at least one connecting rod. I have a crank bearing set coming, will need to see what I need for rod bearings.

Crank is marked 21222 and 2222 for the bearings.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Crazy, SWMBO and I are going to be through your way on Sunday the 15th. Maybe I should throw a few spare con rods in the saddlebag and meet you at Tim Horton's. Drop me a PM with some contact details...
            Ken Talbot

Comment

heh, that would be awesome. Any idea what time you would be coming through? I hae an engagement just after lunch for a few hours. I will be around, just a little busy.

I think I only need one rod. The rest are ok, so far as I can tell. Only the one had spun the bearing to the point that it was knocking.

As far as I can see, the main bearings look really good. I will replace them anyway.
              Last edited by Crazcnuk; 07-12-2007, 01:15 AM.

'05 ST1300

Comment

We're overnighting in Jasper on Saturday night, then heading over to Edmonton the next day. IIRC, Hinton is where we stopped for breakfast the last time we did a trip that way. I'm thinking 9:00 or so, after a leisurely "get up and get going", vacation type morning.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Awesome. I don't normally get up that early, but what the heck!

Just give me a call when you go past the park gates.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Thanks to Ken, I now have 4 new rods, and if I'm lucky, rod bearings.

The new main bearings arrived today.

While I am in here, the 1st and 2nd gear 'dogs' that wear off, is the damage readily visible while the gears are still on thier shafts?

I was looking at the transmission, while it's open, and I can't see any wear in there at all.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I think you probably need to get the shaft out to take a look. Even if it doesn't show signs of the problem now, it most likely will in the future... especially since you'll be throwing a lot more HP to them than stock when you're done. I'd just do it while I was in there personally.

Here's a shaft together...

And you'd have a hard time seeing the dogs and lands of the gears where they mesh. These gears were just starting to have a problem. You can see by the wear marks that there's not a lot of surface area that is touching, and just this amount of rounding was making it skip.

Sorry the pics are so big... had to get it up close. And while I'm here.... is this the only part you needed?

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ok, I will defeinately take them apart to take a look, then.

And yes, that is the part I broke on my clutch.

Thanks

'05 ST1300

Comment

Got the main bearings today. As soon as I can get the rotor off the end of the crank, I can start doing the prep work toward reassembly.

Haven't found any place that carries the right size bolt to get the rotor off, yet.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Craz, the starter clutch, there's 3 parts inside that wear out, not the 3 steel rollers but 3 tiny plungers, they sit on springs, the starter still seems to work when they're busted, but broken is broken, if lucky they'll still be OK

Comment

Hi Crazcnuk,

There is a thread on the bike which fits; I think it is the rear wheel spindle?

AlanB
                              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                              X