XJ1100 Oil Filter Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 Oil Filter Spring

Bought my XJ 1100 in July of 2002 and one of the first things I did was change the oil and filter. Didn't have a repair manual at that time. Recently had to do so again because of the gas in oil problem. I noticed this time in my repair manual that there is supposed to be a spring and washer located under the filter. Obviously the PO lost it! I reinstalled the oil filter anyway after eyeballing the clearances between the block and the oil filter cover and it seems there isn't much room for a spring anyway. After the oil change and filter replacement I have ridden the bike about 200 miles with no apparent problems (no low oil pressure light or leaking). How important is the spring and washer (are they necessary?) and how available are these parts? Any input is appreciated.

Maxim4rob

'82 XJ1100
    '82 Honda CM450 Custom
    '97 Harley Sportster

The spring appears to keep the filter off the bottom of the filter housing, and out of the dirt that settles there. Your dealer may have to order it, but shouldn't be a problem. I had the exact same thing on my bike, and ran it for about 13 years that way before I found out it was supposed to be there. I ordered (2) of them while I was at it.
    Highlander

Comment

Higlander:

Well I guess after 13 years if you didn't have a problem then neither should I until I get the spring. Thanks for the response.

maxim4rob

Comment

The spring holds the filter over the holes, I think. If the filter goes all the way to the bottom, do the holes in the bolt become exposed? If not I suspect it would no make much difference. The Venture uses the same filter without a spring, but the cover is only deep enough to just hold the filter, and it is mounted vertically.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Springs and bolt holes

I think Gary is right with the spring function.

The holes in the bolt act as an oil filter bypass - so that, if some terrible reason the filter gets completely blocked, the oil flow through the bolt pushes against a ball bearing valve inside and lets the flow through.

I suppose the idea is that should the filter clog or fall apart and not let oil through at least the engine isn't immediately starved of oil (ouch!)

Problem is - if this happens I'd hate to think of the crude flowing in the oil and what damage that'd do to the bike anyway

Without the spring surely (I could be wrong here) - the oil is going to enter the filter chamber (but not the filter sittinng on the bottom and just flow around and be pumped out again - but crucially - not really get filtered much.
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Oh Yeah, the bypass...this hole must be below the filter or when it by-passes it will also vent into the filter and since the only reason it by-passed was a clogged filter !
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
            X