No announcement yet.

30 mph wobble???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check to see that the bead is seated evenly around both sides of the rim. Put the bike on the centerstand and have someone tilt the bike back so that you can spin the front tire to check for "roundness." If the balance is suspect, take the wheel off and let a professional check it.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
    03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Re: 30 mph wobble??? + pic of my bike

Originally posted by lucidian forge
      I think it might be the headset bearings but want to hear from y'all first.
      If someone has cranked the headset up too tight, it will result in an annoying weaving feeling which is quite pronounced at slow speeds. It feels like the bike just doesn't want to track straight down the road without a lot of rider input.

Properly adjusted, there should be no slack in the steering head. With the front end blocked up off the ground, the forks shold fall over to one side or the other with only the slightest push. If you have to pull at all to move the forks over, the head is too tight.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Last night I tried to repack the front tire bearings but couldn't get off the oil seals. Is there a trick to get them out without destroying them? I took the bike on long ride last night to try and feel out things. I felt a slight clunk coming from somewhere. Could that be the swing arm? Can the front forks seem to be tight. I pull on them and there is no give. The TT and races seem to be fine; I jacked the front end off the ground and the front end fell to one side or the other very easily. Any thoughts?
        Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Comment

Could a lower speed wobble be from bad tire balancing? Riding next to the highway barrier, I can see my shadow. My shadow looks like I'm riding over a rough road; it rocks front to back like I am riding over bumps. It isn't horrible, but it is noticable. Above 55mph I don't notice anything. Could the shocks be bad? Do I need to change the fork oil? Any ideas?
          Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Comment

Working...
          X