30 mph wobble???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 mph wobble???

Hello, first time i've posted to this fourm. I need help with my xs, I get a low speed (20-30mph) wobble (sometimes more so after i've been on the highway) and would really like to find out what is the problem. just got the bike did some work to it had the triple tree off and also put in new fork seals. I think it might be the headset bearings but want to hear from y'all first. Here she is:

Last edited by lucidian forge; 06-21-2007, 07:30 PM.
    80 XS1100 SG

Hey Luci,

You got some Xplanin' to do! Sorry, had to! But, a bit more clarification of your symptoms would help. Okay, do you mean a sideways wobble or handlebar shake? Is it running straight or in a turn?

You apparently didn't have it before you did the fork seal work, and having the TT off could have gotten things out of line? Could also be the front wheel bearings? Are you saying that you didn't clean and repack the steering head bearings while you had the TT OFF? Tsch, tsch!

Place on center stand, raise front wheel just off the ground and check for smoothness of steering travel left to right. Also pull up on wheel and see if you can feel any looseness/bump/slack.

Next, loosen axle and pinch bolts, TT pinch bolts. I believe I remember someone posting about placing a sheet of picture glass against the upper tubes, should make even contact with both, if rocking, then twist forks/TT until even, then tighten TT clamp bolts, and then front axle and then pinch bolt to center rotor in lower slider.
    T.C.

BTW, welcome and great looking machine!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ok ok, I really should have re packed the head set bearings when i had it all off and the wobble is a kind of gyro/ weaving side to side deal, nothing like the handlebars are kicking and i notice it most when i am going straight, not too bad but its the only thing really wrong with the bike. thanks for a proper way to tighten all the triple tree bolts, I hope once I go through and straighten everything that the wobble will be gone.
      80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Okay, that does sound like the TT steering shaft nuts are too tight, causing it to bind and be too stiff, similar to the old steering neck hand crank locks that used to be on the old bikes. Worked great once you got up to high speed, but IF you forgot to loosen it when you slowed down....wobble city!

So.....loosening the TT Steering shaft nuts, and then tighten them to just to where you can push the handlebars from right or left to the opposite direction, and they should gently swing to full turn position without stopping and should feel smooth, not bumpy!

Also, inspect your bearing races for little vertical grooves worn into them from the bearings. DragonRider/Daniel posted a good thread a few months or so ago with great photos showing the worn grooves. But IF they are smooth, then just a good cleaning and regreasing should be all it needs! Good Luck!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Rear turn signals

Hi Lucidian,
          As TC sez, the most likely cause of the 20 - 30 mph sinusoidal flightpath is overtight steering head races.
          I also have that same bike except mine is not nearly so pretty as it was cruelly neglected by POs. But your soft bags? On my bike the rear signals would stick right through their middles, about where the buckle is. How did you move those signals aft?
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Not really mentioned yet... just looking at the picture and the top profile of your front tire... is there some uneven wearing (Cupping) on it? That will show up on slower speeds also, but go away as you go faster...

Just another option to look at.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

About the rear turn signals, I just made a bracket out of 1/4" steel and about 5" long and even still used the factory wires. the front signals have been moved also to allow a good fit of the front windshield, just drilled a hole in the ear post that holds the headlight and again the factory wires just needed to be relocated outside the headlight housing.

Tire is fine, only 300 miles on it. Worked on it for a bit the front end is not as tight and no more wobble! Will go ahead and replace the races and bearings sometime this summer just so I know its new but seems to be working much better now, thanks for all the advice!
              Last edited by lucidian forge; 06-23-2007, 12:13 PM.
              80 XS1100 SG

Comment

I think this should be easy, undo the lock bolt on the right side fork, (the one that locks the axle) and tighten the axle nutn on the left side, re adjust your brake caliper on the right side then tighttn the lock bolt & nut oin the right side fork...should cure the wobble. cheers..... Your fornt wheel is wandering left and right on the axle. you can identify this by looking at the right side of the axle to see if there is a gap between the hub and the fork......
                1982 XS1100R
                1982 XJ650
                1983 VT400
                1990 XVS Shadow
                1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

I am also having a wobble at low speeds. Seems to be worse after I ride on the highway. It's not so much a side to side wobble as it is a back and forth wobble; it feels like I am riding over bumps. Is this a similar issue to what was talked about above?
                  Stock '79 xs1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Blue giant

I had poor handling complaints earlier this year and it was because of low tire pressure. Of course that was the last thing I checked
                    Originally posted by Tinman905

When I applied my rear brake and only the rear brake at around 40 m/h or 60 km/h my front end started to wobble almost out of control . At any other speed I had no problem braking or wobble for some reason.

Well I checked and double check everything on the front end changed the rotors , brakes pads and calibers and same results. Today I decided to check my tire pressure as I realized I could reach the ground more with me feet haha ,yes a short as@ . My rear tire pressure was low almost 10 lbs . I topped it up and the braking problem was gone no more wobbling front end.
                    Pays to keep up on the maintenance.
                    Ernie
                    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

How did I get dragged into this!

Ernie makes a good point, it would be worth while checking both!

Good looking bike by the way.

Paul
                      Paul
                      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                      1979 XS1100 Standard
                      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

How did I get dragged into this!
                        Paul,

I just thought it was a valid point.
                        Ernie

Comment

Can anyone help me out here? I am not even sure if I should ride my bike. What are some steps to work on resolving this?

Comment

I wouldn't ride it without checking everything over first.

Check tire pressures,
                            Put bike on centre stand and spin back tire to see if it is out of round. Have someone push down on the back and check the front tire for out of round. Also check tires for any bulges, etc. Check wheels for any side to side play (bearings)

While its up pull on the forks to make sure there's no play in the steering and conversely that the head set is not too tight.

Check shock mounts, swing arm, etc.

Basically you will need to go over all of the suspension to make sure everthing is as tight as it should be.

Also, was it good before? Did it just start? Did you hit anything? Did it come on gradually or all of a sudden?
                            Ernie

Comment

Thanks for the replay eg. I bought the bike a month ago. It has always done this for me. I notice it more when I get off the highway. The tires are pretty new. I will do some tests on it tonight; I will get the front tire off the ground and pull on things to see if they are tight. I will also attempt to balance the tire following the clymer guides instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X