limited top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limited top end

I have an 81H with an 80G engine in it. The bike has an XS750 final drive. Chrome megaphone-type Jardine 4-1 pipes, like new. Carbs are from a 78E. Airbox has a K&N filter, breathers hooked up to hole in box, box not drilled. I just went through the carbs although I didn't need to. The carbs are adjusted to 1.000 inches average height, 150 mains, 45 pilots, 210 air jets, needles on the center slot (soggy if raised one slot). Plugs are white on the porcelin and maybe just a slight carbon dusting on the ring - read lean. WHY will this bike only do 96 mph and is running out of poop with 150 mains? This bike will push 8000rpms in lower gears. PS, 6000 rpm is about 100 mph on this bike. WHY will this bike only do 96 mph and is running out of poop with 150 mains?
    I could put in some 155 mains, but I think that is about as big as they go. What is up with that??? Something must be wrong.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Too rich, go to 140's, plugs always read lean at high revs

Comment

Have little experience with jetting mods on a stock motor.
      When's the last time you checked the valves or compression?

If not the carbs/motor then???
      Would ride it for about 5 minuets and check if final drive is getting "hot".

mro

Comment

Skids,
        If you have the '79 carbs on the later air box, did you drill out the carb breather tubes on the box? The '79 carbs vent through the top "T", and if they don't vent, you will run out of fuel as you try to work the engine.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yes, I have the breather tubes to a T and into the crankcase breather hole. They are vented.

Originally posted by DiverRay
          Skids,
          If you have the '79 carbs on the later air box, did you drill out the carb breather tubes on the box? The '79 carbs vent through the top "T", and if they don't vent, you will run out of fuel as you try to work the engine.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I should check that final drive again... I think the compression is good, but I will be checking it. The carbs all react the same and are clean. I already tried lower number jets with the same loss of poop at the high end. I tried 145's. Maybe I need a higher float setting?

Originally posted by mro
            Have little experience with jetting mods on a stock motor.
            When's the last time you checked the valves or compression?

If not the carbs/motor then???
            Would ride it for about 5 minuets and check if final drive is getting "hot".

mro
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Float may do the trick. IIRC, mine is just over an inch, about 27mm?? I'm to far from home, and nine hours ahead of my normal time zone, so the brain is slightly fogged. ( could also be the 3,800 meter elevation I'm working at.)
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

elevation

hey skids, what is your elevation there?
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Its 5500 ft. elevation here.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

kleen K & N

Check your air filter, but I would 2nd Pggg on richness. Your elevation is almost 4 times mine in OKC so your getting way less O2 and probably rich. My 2 pennies.
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock
                    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: kleen K & N

I cleaned the filter just prior to the test rides, but I will check the compression and perhaps tweek the floats a little higher, then move to smaller mains. If all of that fails, I am blaiming the 4-1's!

Originally posted by xschop
                      Check your air filter, but I would 2nd Pggg on richness. Your elevation is almost 4 times mine in OKC so your getting way less O2 and probably rich. My 2 pennies.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

My first 78E 1102cc, stock motor apart from drilled airbox, K&N, 4-1 - ran really well, screaming top end, good response and power right thru the rev range, carbs set with floats at 25mm, pilot air jets 180, emulsion tubes X2 266, needles 5GZ6 at centre notch, pilot jets 45, main jets 140 - 142.5

Comment

Yeah, I have a 78 (the Beast) with the same get-up excpt that the mains are 147.5 and the pilot air jets are 210. I have only seen the 180's used in the later model carbs.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Sum ting wong

Check your advance.
                            You can add 2 degrees for every thousand feet on a car, don't know why it wouldn't work for an XS to dial in some more.

What did it do before the 750 mod?

Stock will pull 90 in third, so you have 2 overdrive gears I guess.
                            XS1100SF
                            XS1100F

Comment

These jet needles, both from XS11 carbs, 5GZ6 on left, other is 5Z1, notched the same, 5Z1 can flow more gas at WOT, worked better with smaller jets, I even looked in the XS11 manual, where it mentions 51Z7's and 5GL16's, the 51Z7 sounds close to that 5Z1

Comment

Working...
                              X