Buy cheap get cheap results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy cheap get cheap results

First off my name is Gerard & i`m a cheapaholic Well for the first time i got bitten bad with a cheap part (yea right) i was at the local bike shop & thought while i was there buying handle bars & grips for my 80 MNS , i`d ask about a set of fork seals. Well he had a set on the shelf (don`t know how long they were there) & asked how much . He said $16 bucks for the pair, i said sold , and i went on my merry way. Well i installed them last week with out a bit of trouble, until today. While i was on an errand i noticed the front end started to feel funny , so i looked down & found fork oil pissing all over everything Well got home & ripped it apart to find the right seal had fallen apart , so off i go to the local Yamaha shop this time & figured if i paid $16 for 2 it shouldn`t be so bad , i paid $36 bucks for 1 & Well after lookng at this new twice the price part i noticed it being a much better quality than what i had put in the first time. So now i`m waiting for the left one to fail so i can do this job again . So don`t be a cheapaholic & buy the best the first time

Gerard
    04 Roadstar (starglide)
    80 midnight special

Brings up an interesting question

Gerard,

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it does bring up an interesting question.

I see seals listed on Ebay all the time for about the same price you paid for the set that fell apart.

Does anyone have any experience with these seals and if so have you had good or bad results with them?
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

I've heard several people say that the OEM seals are the only ones to buy. Dale_1 said he had good luck so far with the aftermarket ones... but that is seriously the only person I've heard say that so far. I'm sure there's others that have also... but I bet there's lots more bad luck stories to them than good.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: Brings up an interesting question

Originally posted by cajun31
        Gerard,

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it does bring up an interesting question.

I see seals listed on Ebay all the time for about the same price you paid for the set that fell apart.

Does anyone have any experience with these seals and if so have you had good or bad results with them?
        The same ones seen on abay with the green pacage back ground are the ones i bought. I guess when it comes to rubber seals the factory is the way to go

Gerard
        04 Roadstar (starglide)
        80 midnight special

Comment

Re: Re: Brings up an interesting question

You must know the brand! We can't just go around avoiding the color green.

Originally posted by confish04
          The same ones seen on abay with the green pacage back ground are the ones i bought. I guess when it comes to rubber seals the factory is the way to go

Gerard
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I've got 8k on a pair from Parts n More. No problems yet. Now where is some wood to knock on?
            Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
            '09 Buell Ulysses
            '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

I've had the 'Leak Proof' ones fail on me within a few months and haven't had one single problem with the oem's I've installed. OEM's are available at the dealer or bikebandit.com for about the same price you paid for those seals at the shop.
              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Also check past threads; there are some incorrect application charts out there. Most models with the leading fork (axle in front of the fork leg instead of through it) use a slightly (about 1mm IIRC) larger seal (inner and outer) than the others. Doesn't sound like much, but makes a big difference.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

yeah if something cheap requires extensive labor and effort to get to, i normally don't skimp and get the best, the time to redo it isn't worth it.

especially if in involves the posibility of dropping the bike which in the case of fork off, that may apply...
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Yeah, forks aren't something to play around with like that... a bad fork seal was 1/3 responsible for me almost dying a few years back...the other 2/3's was other stupid stuff...minimize risk, live longer.
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I have always bought OEM parts if and when they are available. It's the only way to go given that the parts are for use on a high performance vehicle
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Brings up an interesting question

Originally posted by skids
                        You must know the brand! We can't just go around avoiding the color green.

OK the green package was from Vesrah part # AR-3702 They felt good & the left leg SO FAR isn`t leaking (so far)
                        04 Roadstar (starglide)
                        80 midnight special

Comment

jackin' up ...

my F today to do the same job .... bought the seals from a local bike shop for 7 bucks a pair. They came in a Parts Unlimited package, made in Italy, brand name looks like NTK??

Long as they fit, I'm gonna' use 'em, but I'll watch closely .... like I think Snow is saying, that front end gets pretty squishy/scary with bad seals and no oil in there .... and overall handling just plain sucks.
                          80G Mini-bagger
                          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Hope you fair better than i did. Who knows maybe it was one in a million (i think i`ll play the lottery)
                            04 Roadstar (starglide)
                            80 midnight special

Comment

fork seals

everybody that works on bikes for money
                              knows aftermarket seals suck the only way they dont'n leak is if you don't put in fork oil.
                              as ever bill

ps don't ride faster than your sweet angel can fly.
                              bill hane

Comment

Working...
                              X