Guru Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guru Question

I'm putting new HD Vesrah clutch springs in, and in the process removed the kickstarter mechanism (Blue circle)....I have never had to use it and probably won't. Question is the Gear wheel that normally sits here in the Red Circle, Do I or can I remove it or just leave be?.....Looks like T.C. Completely removed his....Thanks in advance.....
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

In or out, should not make any difference other than having to split the cases should you latter decide you want the kick starter back.

mro

Comment

Hey Chop,

Mine's an 81SH, it came that way from the factory!
      It looks like there's a set of bolts that hold it in place, so you might/should be able to remove it!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

dead weight

the KS mechanism is about a pound or so...I was just wanting to know if I can remove the rest of the mechanism without having to split cases?
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

It will be fine without the kickstarter, but you'l get rid of much more weight from the whole assembly coming out.. but you will have to split the cases for that. You'll either need a cover with a plug, or buy one to cover up the hole the shaft went through in the sideplate.

AND..... That wire that the red arrow is pointing to. It will make life much easier if you don't mess with that! lol. I think it was TC who can vouch for that.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

splittin it

well thanks, I won't mess with the opposite gear then, just leave out the kickstarter part that goes thru the cover.I have a custom cover that the shaft hole has been welded up with alloy....thanks for the info....chop
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop

There's a BETTER way to loose a few pounds on your Eleven...

It's called...

A GYM!
              Last edited by MAXIMAN; 06-19-2007, 07:32 AM.

Comment

gyminy geez wally

I go to the gym when I'm not out on the 11...sometimes I take it to the gym with me, do a workout hit the shower and blow dry on I-35
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

LMAO!

Yeah I know you are in good shape. Just giving you the bizness.

I burnt a guy on a Gixxer1000 while I was on my ZRX. He caught up with me at a gas station and said he thought his bike must weigh more than mine. I flipped up my face shield, smiled and gently responded "It does with you on it." When I rode off I could see him in my rearview with a dumbfound look like a cow gazing at a passing car.

Comment

ooooooooouuuuuucccccccccchhhhhh!

truth hurts at times.....that is very funny too see a BIG guy on a rice rocket with plumbers ass....I think they should just get a tatoo and a Harley....
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

No thread Jacking....... Max

I'm outta here, Can't spend my vacation time at a key board, gotta go work on "PePe"
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                        I
                        AND..... That wire that the red arrow is pointing to. It will make life much easier if you don't mess with that! lol. I think it was TC who can vouch for that.
                        Yeah....I can vouch for that also!
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

finished

Got it all put back together and she no longer slips under hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th (before 750 Fd mod it would slip in 5th at times).....The Vesrah springs are hardcore and give alot more bite. Also I mic'd the friction discs all @ 2.9mm. They were nasty Black, so I Dipped them in 20% Sodium Hydroxide Soln.for 10 min and the discs look brand new (chemistry's cool and I'm lazy, no sandpaper here) I am going back with the Castrol 20-50 after seeing so many positives about this Brand and weight....
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop

Great idea using NaH! I hope you rinse them off afterwards. That stuff is corrosive.

Another very good oil for these machines I've found is Valvoline 20w-50 4 stroke motorcyle oil. It is designed for wet clutches and works very very well for air cooled engines especially in the heat of the summer. And ...and...it's widely available. I have seen it in every NAPA store I've been in from here to west Texas to Nevada.

Comment

Working...
                            X