I too have an electrical query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I too have an electrical query

My brake lights won't work. I took of the cover for the bulbs, or lamps, and both filliments of both bulbs are on all the time. That doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't only one set of filliments be on when the brake isn't being applied. any help would be great. thanks
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Re: I too have an electrical query

That is right, Jake. The tail light should have marker lights come on automaically when the engine runs, and the brighter filiments are for brake indicators.

Originally posted by Mortman22
    My brake lights won't work. I took of the cover for the bulbs, or lamps, and both filliments of both bulbs are on all the time. That doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't only one set of filliments be on when the brake isn't being applied. any help would be great. thanks
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Remove the seat, and disconnect the brake light wire. It's yellow I think. See if it goes out. If not, then possibly the filiment has broken and fallen on top of the tail light filament. If the brake does go out, check for a stuck brake light switch on either master cylinder. There will be power on the yellow wire if that is the case.

Comment

Oh sorry, I just saw that you have an XJ and I know NIL about it!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

hey thanks John
          Jake
          82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

AHEM...

LOL, was removing my footpeg mounts to polish them up and accidentally bent the switch spring retainer while removing. Didn't realize what I had done until everything was assembled and I took off for a job interview behind schedule. Someone else let me know the brake light was on all the time. Got to my interview and saw what was wrong, bent it back, everything worked out great.

SOOO

As mentioned earlier, I would check the master cylinder switches for a stuck switch
            "Rat Rod"
            79 XS1100 Standard
            87 VMAX cans
            Cheap Japanese Tires
            Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
            Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
            Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Working...
            X