Lowering Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering Bike

Does anyone have a way to lower my bike about 2". I have short legs and would feel better if I could put more of my feet
    flat on the street.

Check this thread
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Damn Vista

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...Shorter+Shocks
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

The front end can be lowered by allowing the fork tubes to slid up higher through the triple trees. Your not going to get 2 inches that way with stock bars in place. Also DON'T do what I did and have the bike fall over because the side stand will be too long once the bike is lowered. I'm not sure what you can do at the rear without loosing a lot of suspension travel. After lowering watch your ground clearance then going over little jump curbs while leaned over even slightly.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Another option would be to take your seat to an upholstery shop and have at least 1" or more of foam cut out of it, would lower your sitting position without all of the geometry and handling changes to the suspension!? JAT?!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Your profile doesn't identify what you're riding, but if you're on a Standard, you can do quite a bit of lowering with a rear wheel from a Special, and some shorter shocks. With that and raising the fork tubes and a bit of foam sculpting on the seat, you sould be able to get a couple of inches. That's basically what we did to SWMBO's 'H
            Ken Talbot

Comment

You can lower the forks an inch or so with a pair of spacers internally, leaves the tubes still flush with the top triple tree, gives stiffer springs at the same time, for the sidestand, grind a small nick at the hinge area, stand then swings further forward, better stability, bike less prone to 'falling forward', and matches the lowered bike

Comment

The Lowering

John lowered the 81 for me (I'm 5' 5") and I can touch the ground on both sides of the bike now (at the same time) somewhat comfortably.
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

If you do that, make double sure that you put the side stand up before you take off! Yeah, I know you're supposed to anyway, but that one sounds a little less forgiving.

Originally posted by pggg
                  (snip), for the sidestand, grind a small nick at the hinge area, stand then swings further forward, better stability, bike less prone to 'falling forward', and matches the lowered bike
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"...that one sounds a little less forgiving"

True, but doubt it'll happen twice

Comment

about 2", Another option

let the air outa the tires

mro

Comment

Lowering bike - 2

Thanks for all the great ideas to lower my bike. I'm finishing the rebuild on a 1980 XS1100G. Now I have to decide witch one of them will work the best for me. Thanks to all who answered
                        my problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X