Led turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led turn signals

I Installed LED bullet turn signals in the rear. Now the lights dont blink. They just light. Any Ideas?
    1979 XS Eleven
    4-1 Mac Exhaust
    Kuryaken Handgrips
    Crash Bars

See the threads concerning Flashing units. When you changed out the bulbs, you changed the inductance of the circuit. Changing out the flasher unit should help, but at the moment, my basic electronics is failing me and I can't remember if you need a heavier duty flasher or what... Damn Oldtimer's disease.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

needs an electronic flasher. Auto parts stores have them.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks Prom. I'm kicking around the idea of LED flashers as well and it was driving me crazy not being able to recall my electronics. It's been ten years since I worked in the field. I guess it proves the "Use it or Lose it" theory.
        Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

BLUEJEEPLAB,

Sure could use your help
          I there any way NOT to loose the self cancel when I go to LED flashers? I got the Oldtimer's disease myself.

Resumed my little project

Running light

Signal

1 watt Luxeon stars on copper

Buctoot LED drivers

Insert mounted
          Nubee

Comment

Don't know of any way to avoid that. The LEDs change the inductance of the system so much. The stock canceller relies on the stock inductance and resistance to operate. There are some very good engineers lurking around this site, maybe someone has an idea...

I think the trade for the lower current draw and better visibility is a fair trade for losing the canceler though.
            Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

I really need to look at that flasher relay closer. It would seem to me that all the self-canceller is doing is shutting off the relay (using the 3rd leg) by either feeding it a ground or 12V.

I have few doubts a circuit could be made pretty easily to replicate that either using a standard flasher or just making a whole new one.. I'll try to get on it soon.

Those lights look great nubee! Are they bright enough?
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

JWSanders,

Look at it for a split second and when you close your eyes you will still see spots for about a minute

Not a quantitative description but a good one!
                Nubee

Comment

Working...
                X