Need Help!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Frmrby,

Well, in your first description you said that it "locked up", so I assumed just that!? Now you say that it will just stay in 1st gear, and that you can't shift it back up into second.

The shift into 1st is rather clunky on these machines when sitting, but is usually fairly smooth when rolling. A grinding noise is not good! Still think it may be a bent shift fork, so that when shifting into first, it may also be moving another gear TOO FAR, causing it to start to try to engage.....grind! And then because it's bent, it won't allow you enough distance to slide the 1st gear back out?

OR...it could also be a problem with the pins on the end of the shfit drum inside the shift cover. The shift pawl may be able to grab the next pin to shift/push/rotate the drum down into the first gear, but either the pin is bent, missing, and it can't grab it to pull/rotate the drum back in the direction needed to move the shift fork for 1st gear???

No aspersions on your mechanical prowess were intended, it's just that I've done the Dremmel fix on 3 bikes, and it's a modest weekend affair with removing breakable stuff, battery, carbs, draining fluids=engine & final drive, plugging middle gear vent, and then getting SWMBO with a 8' long 2x4 to help hold and leverage the bike while I steady the front wheel to rotate onto it's back, then the other mechanicals involved, the dremmeling, etc., and then all back together, and allowing for things like eating, sleeping, etc!

Will be interesting to hear what you find!
    T.C. .....ahem...not CT!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

RED hot pipes

I've never seen a MC exhaust glow, but have on an industrial 4 cylinder engine.
      Turned out to be caused by a crack in the head between two cylinders.

mro

Comment

Well it seems I am at a stall. I get it stripped down to removing the assembly but the gear on the kick start shaft will not let move the shaft far enough to get it out. But the pics in the repair section show adifferent design than my bike has. I think I have to remove this gear to get it out. Hopefully someone will see this and have an answer for me soon.

It doesn't look like I have any bent shift forks from what I can see. But in the oil pan I found a couple pieces of what look like spring. The pieces are 2 inches long a piece and are kinda shaped in a spiral. Any ideas to where it may have come from?

And you were dead on about it being a weekend prject as I will not have it together today. But I did not get started today until about 5o pm

Thanks for you help.

Frmrby
        Frmrby

1980 XS1100SG Work In Progress

Comment

Well I went ahead and removed the kick start shaft and gear (which I am not sure why it is in there because there is no kick start thru the case). And bam it came right out. Still if anyone has any ideas where the spring pieces may have come from as I have look through the entire tranny and engine and find nothing.

Thanks
          Frmrby
          Frmrby

Comment

Was the return spring still on the kick start mechanism?

Comment

It is a 1980 SG, which I see you also own one, and so you know there is not a kick start on this model. The hole coming through the case is plugged, but there is a short stub shaft inside the case but there was not a spring on it. Not sure if this is it as I can not find any diagram for the kick start shaft for this model. UMMMMM

John I just went to your webshots pics and pic number 15 in your pics shows the back bottom shaft looks the same as mine. Is there suppossed to be a spring on the inside of the case for that shaft?

Thanks

Frmrby
              Last edited by frmrby69; 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM.
              Frmrby

Comment

No spring. I thought maybe you had a trans planted engine, the way you were talking about kick start shafts. Is the sprin you found a compesssion spring, or a spring that you would use to return a lever, like the shift lever spring. What is the diameter of the spring wire?

Comment

I am not a 100% positive that it is a spring as it is in pieces. There are two pieces about 2 inches long a piece and then after further inspection of the oil pan there are a bunch of littlie pieces. It is about the diameter of the spring in the top side of the carb. The reason I thought that maybe it was a spring is that the two long pieces were kinda still spiral shaped and very hard to bend. I could not come up with a different idea of what it was. It is kida like piano wire that would be used in other apps for securing a lock nut or such.

Frmrby
                  Frmrby

Comment

Hey Frmrby,

Here's a fine photo from Ken Talbots Return spring pictorial....

If you'll look in the upper left corner, the shift PAWL has a fine spring around it, was yours still in place when you removed the shift assembly??? That's about the only small spring I can think of in the tranny? But a missing spring there could also possibly account for the poor shifting since that spring keeps the pawl pushing downward against the shift drum, vs. just gravity!?

Good Luck!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks John and TC for yu advice. TC the spring was in place for the shift pawl. But after getting the gear assembly out and inspecting the dogs for 1 st gear are worn with the typical problem. I have a buddy that does machine work and he is going to fix it for me tommorow night. All the shift forks and mechinism looks good but i have taken pcs of what I found in the pan. I will setup a webshots account tommorow and post the link here so you can get a look at it for your self. I will also post some pics of the tranny setup and worn gears so if someone would like to download and post them in the repairs section for reference.

Thanks again

Frmrby
                      Frmrby

Comment

Hey Frmrby,

Have you seen the tech tip(from the main forum page) in the Repairs, Tranny section?? If 1st gear is faulty, 2nd is probably not far behind! Would be best to take 1st, 4th, and 2nd, 5th to your machinist friend and have him undercut the dogs and slots on both matching pairs to save you an extra trip back into the tranny!
                        T.C.

I editted your reply....it's TC not CT!
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks TC for correcting my typo. I did take all four gears and he is going to fix all four. Thanks for the heads up.

Frmrby
                          Frmrby

Comment

XS soap opera

I just love this thread. It is like washing a tv drama, with new installments, tensions and dramatic twists. Can't wait for the happy ending.

I have been lucky with my XS, some kind soul having done all the work for me (except for a filthy tank). If you have not had tank treated with Kreem or similar, might put that on your list of things to do. Otherwise the rot will descend and clog up the works, like it did on mine. Then I had similar fuel supply problems as described, which turned out to the the darn paper filters getting airlocked.

All credit to you for persisting. One step at a time. Cheers. Scott J
                            Scotty J
                            Burpengary, Q Australia
                            XS1100E 1978
                            XJ900N 1985
                            Ariel 350 Red Hunter 1949

Comment

Thanks Scotto for the great reviews. You think it sounds like a great TV saga, you should try living it. LOL. I may still have your life to live as the tank was rusty but I have cleaned it out several time in an effort to try and avoiding your life. Tonight I am going to pull the carbs again just to make sure that this is not an issue for me.

I have finally posted some pic on webshots for all to see the inside of my bike as I have not had it together long enough to get good pics of the bike itself. But I hope this is close to coming.

To be continued...........................

http://community.webshots.com/user/Frmrby69
                              Frmrby

Comment

Bike resto as soap opera

Hi Frmrby,
                                there's a TV play featuring a lady lost for 20 years in the jungle and wondering what was happening on her favorite soap these days as the last she'd seen, Tarquin & Jonquil had a terrible row during lunch and had broken up - - - .
                                Well, says her rescuer, as of yesterday's episode; it's later the same afternoon & - - -
                                Hopefully you will do better than that.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X