Need Help!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frmrby,
    Try looking for a vacuum leak. My guess is that a backfire blew off a cap, and #3 has a leak. That would also account for the fast idle. As far as the sudden quit, check to be sure the "kill" switch isn't off by a little bit. On my machine, just a few degrees will make the engine stop.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well I can't seem to find any leaks any wear. When this motor is cool it idles low but as soon as it gets to a good operating temp it only will idle down if I rev it up. My question is if the carbs are not synch perfect will this cause this problem?

The plugs all look good except number 2. It does have a slight whiteness to it. It is not real bad but maybe a touch lean. I guess I need to make a vacuum tester and test the vacuum on each carb. The other thing is that I am not sure that the vacuum lines were hooked up correctly when I got the bike. The line that comes from the vacuum advance line is plugged into the optopus and there is a short jumper line the goes from the carb to the same cylinder intake boot. I just found in another post that this is backwards and this could be causing some of my problems, I am going out to change this and see if things straighten out. I also took apart all the electrical connections and cleaned all of them to see if I have any further problems with the bike stalling.

Work In Progess is an under statement!
      Last edited by frmrby69; 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM.
      Frmrby

1980 XS1100SG Work In Progress

Comment

Throttle cable

May be a stupid question but have you checked and lubed the throttle cable?
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

No I have not lubed the throttle cable but the cable seems to be fine. I changed the vacuum hoses around so they are on correctly at it helped some and now the octopus works like it is supposed to. I need to check the vacuum line from the vacuum advance to see if I am getting good vacuum. I also turned down the idle some. It will not idle cold but as soon as it gets warm it wants to idle at around 2000 rpm. I am going to turn it down some more in the morning before I leave for work and see if it is just set to high.
          It seems that it is just a fact of getting all the little bugs worked out. The bike runs really well but just every now and then gives me a fit. I guess that is what you get for running a bike that is 27 years old. But I do love to ride it and it is one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned.
          Frmrby

Comment

Originally posted by frmrby69
            My question is if the carbs are not synch perfect will this cause this problem?
            Non-sync'd carbs will cause you all sorts of problems. Build one if you have to, but I would really recommend spending a few bucks and buying even the cheapest set of mercury sticks. You will use them over and over again once you have them.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Just wanted to drop a line to all that helped me get my ride running.

I have been riding almost everyday for the past month. It runs perfect and rides like a rocket.

I can't thank all who helped enough.

HATS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Frmrby

Comment

Working...
              X