i need help bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off topic

will a gas tank from a special fit properly on a 78e? i like the way they look a little better then what i have
    trevonxs11

Comment

back on topic

it will die when i put it in first gear 95% of the time
      trevonxs11

Comment

Hey Trevon,

Stripped lock bolt not good, prevents tensioner plunger from actually locking, so can allow chain to flap/slacken and that can allow it to jump cam sprocket teeth, bend valves, engine no go!

Either tap it to fit a slightly larger bolt, or helicoil. I don't think I would trust JB Weld to keep enough tension on the plunger? I think someone found that they are still available from Yamaha/ Bike Bandit for about $31.00 for just the housing! Verified=YES!

Also, Special tank will fit on Standard. You can use the Special petcocks since they have an OFF position, they are not controlled by vacuum like the Standard, so you will just plug off the vacuum lines from the intake boots, you don't want to put them on any of the nipples on the Special petcock!

Many folks would like to have the Standard tank for it's increased capacity vs. the special, so if you really want to trade, I'm sure you will find some takers, post in the parts wanted Forum! hint!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for the info t.c. i will check it all out. ill keep you posted.
          trevonxs11

Comment

TC knows what he is talking about! Don't run the bike until you fix the tensioner or replace it. A Helicoil kit can fix it better than new with stainless threads.

Originally posted by trevonxs11
            thanks for the info t.c. i will check it all out. ill keep you posted.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

hey guys i got the last problem fixed. the only thing i have wrong with it is she dies when i put it in gear, only after its been down the road a few times. i also noticed that when i twist the throttle (bike in neutral) that the tail light gets brighter, at idle its fine not too dim. do you know what this could be? thanks
              trevonxs11

Comment

hey i also painted the bike blue, i love it. i put a clear coat on it, sand it smooth and gave it another coat of clear. now when the sun is shinning and its wet the paint looks beautiful but when the water evaporates it looks dull unlit it gets wet again. any one know what i need to put on it to keep the wet look? thanks
                trevonxs11

Comment

Carnuba wax?
                  1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                  1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                  http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
                  X