1.6ing along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6ing along

The speedo on my Canadian metric-gauged XS11SG died. As the self-canceller also quit I deduced the speedo drive cable had broken, I checked and so it had. Well, I got another from Andreas a year or so back and so I installed it. Lasted all of 17KM. Asking on the list, yes your speedo can partially seize up to put enough force on the cable to break it. Ah well, it's got to come apart anyway because one of the dial holding screws can be seen laying around loose in there. The $15.95 for a new cable from Dennis Kirk was fine, the $14 airmail was a downer but what's a fellow in Saskatoon gonna do? So the speedo is off in my hand and you can't hardly turn the thing, even with a Robertson screwdriver and penetrating oil isn't helping. But I do have an MPH speedo from the US that's been in my "no use but too good to throw away" box for yearsand on it goes. Now the flashers cancel once again and the speedo & odometer work again. I just gotta remember to multiply the speed and the distance by 1.6 to stay in line with the metric road signs.
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

"bummer dude" ;-)
    Fred you might want to check these guys out http://ontariocyclesalvage.com/index.html

Scott is the owner and has done a lot for the guys here with XSives

Jim
    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
    and SOXS
    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

No speedos

Hi Jim,
      thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it.
      Site sez they are too busy to answer e-mails so phone 'em. Also their alphabetical list of parts has speedo drives and tacho drives but not speedos or tachos or even "instruments" so most likely I'm SOL at that store.
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The '79 I sold to Scott has a KPH speedo and he isn't very happy with it, but the only other option is the 85 MPH one. Maybe he would trade.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Hi Fred
          I'm closer ... so I phoned Scott .
          He believes he has one ,If you want it he will pull it off the shelf, should be about $ 130 to your door, email me if you are interested. I will handle things at this end ok
          Jim

Fred wrote
          Hi Jim,
          thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it.
          Site sez they are too busy to answer e-mails so phone 'em. Also their alphabetical list of parts has speedo drives and tacho drives but not speedos or tachos or even "instruments" so most likely I'm SOL at that store.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Fred I pm'ed you ...

Bob
            1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
            1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Swapping

Plaindick sez:-
              The '79 I sold to Scott has a KPH speedo and he isn't very happy with it, but the only other option is the 85 MPH one. Maybe he would trade.
              Hi Plaindick,
              (BTW, do we have a Fancydick or even a Cleverdick on the list too?) Now there's a thought. If Scott is in a mind to swap and can wait until late October when the snow flies in Saskatoon, I'm amenable.
              BUT the XS650 speedo & the XS11 Special speedo are a straight swap and pre-Carter 140mph speedos off earlier XS650s are certainly available because that's what I have on my XS11SG right now. Maybe Scott could widen his search parameters closer to home?
              Fred Hill, S'toon.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm too cheap for that

Jim posts:-
                Hi Fred
                I'm closer ... so I phoned Scott .
                He believes he has one ,If you want it he will pull it off the shelf, should be about $ 130 to your door, email me if you are interested. I will handle things at this end ok
                Jim
                Hi Jim, thanks for the kind offer but I'm too stingy to lay out more than the cost of a new tire on a mere speedo when the one I have works fine even if it does read in miles instead of kms. I'm fine with miles, kms are a political expedient. A mile IS a metric measurement. From Milium Pace, a thousand left-rights of a Roman Legionary who was a little short bastard which is why a mile is only 1,760 of a Viking's longer strides.
                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

When the snow flies....

I'm sure he won't mind waiting, it's ride time here too. The speedo is the square kind, is that the one?

PS, planedick comes from the RC airplanes I build and crash.
                  Last edited by planedick; 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Need a round one

Planedick sez:-
                    I'm sure he won't mind waiting, it's ride time here too. The speedo is the square kind, is that the one?
                    >
                    Hi planedick,
                    alas, my Special uses the round gauges so Scott will have to look elsewhere. Rather than pony up the price of a used replacement metric speedo I will keep on doing mental arithmetic as I ride. That has to be good for the brain, right?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

50 k's - 30 miles
                      100 k's - 60 miles
                      150 k's - 90 miles
                      200 k's - 120 miles

Comment

The jingle they used here in Canada on the government's TV ads went:

"twenty gives you thirty, thirty gives you fifty, fifty gives you eighty"

It was set to an annoying little bit of music, but it did the trick. Even now, whenever I'm driving south of the line, that d@mn jingle pops to mind and gets stuck there.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Jingling along

Hi Ken,
                          Canadian metrification never bothered me as I was used to dual measurements from working on an English/French aerospace project. Do you know how long the Concorde is in mm? Well, I don't remember neither but it was a very long number.
                          That annoying jingle will keep you alert on the boring parts of a ride. Especially as with your speedo in KMs and US signs in miles you gotta sing it backwards?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Multiply by 1.6? I have a speedo that reads high and I have to multiply MPH by .9 to correct MPH!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                            X