Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi Dan

Originally posted by mro
    It's been post here or on the UK site that "sling shot" carbs/pod filters on a stock XS has giving em 10+ HP.

So is this just so much smoke............ Where is the rpm point in which they achieved the increase? Pod filters will give you a slight increase with modified stock carburetors in still air if you can get them jetted correctly but the carburetors on an XS are not like those on a sport bike,they are in the open air and exposed too lots of turbulance and the consequences thereof. A motor will only pump so much air and that is based on it's volumetric effiency and consequently unless I saw the results on an independent A to B dyno test I would be suspect of this claim. A 10 horsepower gain on a 95 horse motor is over a 10% gain which is a sh-t load of power for just bolting on a set of carbs.Let me put it like this,if I could put a set of carburetors on my bike that would fetch a 10% gain from 6000 rpm up with no losses on the bottom, I would have already had them on there no matter what they cost. Also if this were true, Vance & Hines,Dale Walker and the rest would be selling these things like hot cakes.
    mro
    BTW
    most XSelent tech you provide
    Been pasting it into my XS log
    :
    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

the FJ used double throttle cables like an XJ
      The XJ just has a single cable also.

This is from another thread I posted, but the question still stands. The XJ uses carbs with a 54mm bell versus the XS with a 52mm. Can the XJ carbs theoretically make more power if tuned right, or are the carbs all the same diameter at the point of the slides?

I have also seen on another post where it seemed you were against pod filters, but now it seems like you are endorsing them a bit... or is it just for the 36mm carbs?

I haven't personally seen their work, but I know they are big in racing. I have wanted to lighten and knife-edge the crank on mine also. APE racing at www.aperaceparts.com looks like it has the knowledge and a decent price to get that done. I was told that I'd be better off spending the money in other places on the motor than that though.. shaved head, better pistons and rods etc.... More bang for the buck they say. ????

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Last Part Too Modify

The bell size might make a difference but if it did it would be minute, however the venturis are 30 mm on all these XS/XJ carburetors and the throttle bores are 34 mm.I am saying that the stock air box would be very restrictive with 36 mm carburetors so you would either have to do some serious cutting/drilling of the stock airbox or put K&N pod filters on it.I mentioned the light weight reciprocating parts in passing as that would be one of the last things you would do to this or any other engine.
        The XJ just has a single cable also.

This is from another thread I posted, but the question still stands. The XJ uses carbs with a 54mm bell versus the XS with a 52mm. Can the XJ carbs theoretically make more power if tuned right, or are the carbs all the same diameter at the point of the slides?

I have also seen on another post where it seemed you were against pod filters, but now it seems like you are endorsing them a bit... or is it just for the 36mm carbs?

I haven't personally seen their work, but I know they are big in racing. I have wanted to lighten and knife-edge the crank on mine also. APE racing at www.aperaceparts.com looks like it has the knowledge and a decent price to get that done. I was told that I'd be better off spending the money in other places on the motor than that though.. shaved head, better pistons and rods etc.... More bang for the buck they say. ????

Tod [/B][/QUOTE]
        81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

A good set of carbs gives a power boost, transforms the whole bike

Comment

Hi Guys,

It is me who has the Suzuki Slingshots on my XS11; The modern carbs give increases in the midrange 'cos they are simply a better design than the older type CVs fitted to the XS. They are also far easier to tune. They can also help top-end for the reasons you can see in the pics earlier in the thred.

My SG (along with other XSs dynoed at the shop!) gave around 75 brake at the tyre. After fitting and jetting the slingshots, dual-out K&Ns and straight-through pipes, along with some work on petcocks and tank breathers, we got 95 bhp; all corrected for temp and pressure effects.

Unfortunately, the Dyno charts have been up on my shop wall for years, and are too faded to scan.

The shop did a lot of work replacing '80s CV carbs with more modern carbs (especially these slingshots!) and always expected similar results; GSX 11s and late Zs really like 'em!

More info CLICK HERE

AlanB
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
            X