Last Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Stupid Question

ok, i am so close to having everything back together....The regular fuel lines are all connected, thanks to everyones help. the bike accually started last night! i only let it run for a minute then shut it off. about 30 seconds after it was shut off, gas started dripping out of the bottom of the air box, from that little nipple. i guess my first question is, is there supposed to be a hose that is clamped onto that nipple and run straight down as a vent, or does the hose need to be hooked somewhere else? second question would be, why is there so much fuel going into the air box....what did i do wrong? last, and stupidest question of all would be....when i was looking at the nipple on the air box, i noticed that there is a line.....i wish i could explain this better.....a line that is hooked up just below the air box, that i never disconnected from one point. anybody but me would probebly be able to say what part it is cnnected to, my best description is that it "part of the engine just below the air box". The hose that is connected there is fairly long, maybe 1.5 of 2 feet.....no idea at all where it needs to be. So other than those problems everything is great.....help.....

Thank you all again, you have helped more then you will ever know.

-Joe
    1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
    1974 RD200
    1975 xs500
    1985 Honda XR350

A skinny little tube from the middle drive? Route it up to the airbox clamp and stick it onto the left side of the top clamp. There is an indent for that tube. It is a vent hose that is open.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

?

yes it must be the middle drive, where abouts on the airbox does it go, and it the nipple on the bottom of the airbox just a vent?
      1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
      1974 RD200
      1975 xs500
      1985 Honda XR350

Comment

dripping gas is bad , a leaky float needle , bad float ....

Bob
        1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
        1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

?

could the gas be going into the airbox because of a line being hooked up in the wrong place? i guess what i really need is a diagram of where all the lines need to be hooked up. not just the four main lines but all of them. and dont say that leaking gas is bad, that scares me.
          1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
          1974 RD200
          1975 xs500
          1985 Honda XR350

Comment

You will be OK

The middle drive vent tube is not connected to anything. It just runs from the drive into space up to a clamp by the aft tank mount. The fuel leaking from the airbox is coming from one or all of your carbs. You can try and tap on the float bowls with a screw driver handle and that may unstick the float but its a longshot. If you have not had them off the bike and cleaned them out they are going to give you problems. Best advice I can think of is get a manual and get ready for the dreaded triple clean. You will get very familiar with your carbs. Don't be afraid you are not alone! We have all been there and done that
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"I've got bad gas..."

and dont say that leaking gas is bad, that scares me.
              Leaky gas can run, not only into the airbox, but into the cylinders, past the rings and dilute your oil. Very common on old bikes and bikes that have sat. Well not very common, but extremely common.
              Number one cause is worn float needles not sealing. Either there's some crap that floated down from the tank holding them open, of they're worn(having a groove around the taper that's supposed to seal the hole.)
              Get new needles and the problem goes away.
              Make sure the floats don't stick. And a bad float(one with a hole in it) is rare, but happens.)
              Older style carbs has two hoses near the tops that vent the airbox. should they become plugged, flooding can result, too. You have the newer style in which the carb bowl is vented through air jets on the airbox side of the carb which rarely plug.
              There is no such thing a "Triple Cleaning" your carbs. "Cripple Cleaning" is a better word as the only people who have to clean their carbs several times are the boobs that didn't do it right in the first place.
              There's no magic involved, and the task is simple.
              Hundreds of threads here concerning cleaning and float needles. Once you replace the float needles, you won't need to touch your carbs for another 25 years.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

only people who have to clean their carbs several times are the boobs that didn't do it right in the first place.
                Who you calling a BOOB?
                Over the first 5000 miles had to re-clean my carbs twice. Solved problem after installing in-line fuel filters. Seems some of the rust flakes were small enough to get past petcock filters and lodge in the float needle/seat

No problem last 13,000 miles since filters added.

mro

Comment

?

i had the carbs off last week and clened everything i could without taking anything apart. so is the suggestion to take everything off again and tear them down and clean the insides? sorry to be a pain to all of you with the dumb questions...thanks again.
                  1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
                  1974 RD200
                  1975 xs500
                  1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Re-read Proms post

If carbs were cleaned right first time, and your problem is what I encountered, should just need to remove float bowls and "spray clean" all the passage ways. Check float height, then reasemble.

Can bench test for leaks.
                    Think there may be a tech tip for this.

mro
                    btw, while carbs are off check that petcocks are not leaking too

Comment

?

somebody reccomended just letting it run for a few minutes and that sometimes that would clear out whatever it is not letting the seat seal....can this hurt to try?
                      1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
                      1974 RD200
                      1975 xs500
                      1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Only if you have gas in the oil.......

originally posted by Prom
                        Leaky gas can run, not only into the airbox, but into the cylinders, past the rings and dilute your oil. Very common on old bikes and bikes that have sat. Well not very common, but extremely common.

mro

Comment

?

i started up the bike again today on my lunch btreak, and everything went great. no more leaky gas...so i guess it was just some crap in the seat....thanks for all the help everyone.
                          1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
                          1974 RD200
                          1975 xs500
                          1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Re: ?

If there was crap, there will be more. Get the inline filters.

Originally posted by frogdink
                            i started up the bike again today on my lunch btreak, and everything went great. no more leaky gas...so i guess it was just some crap in the seat....thanks for all the help everyone.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

stupid question

hello frog just wanted to add one thing the only stupid question there is. is the the one you dont ask! but other than that happy riding
                              4/78 xs1100 standard
                              Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

Comment

Working...
                              X