Very confused, fork seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very confused, fork seals.

Hi. I got my forks apart and have been trying to get the seals out now for a couple weeks now. Give up, then go back . Anyway, I have a 79sf with air/oil forks. I see the thick rubber thing in there. I tried a seal puller with no luck. Today I got my dremel and started cutting at the darn thing, then using a screw driver to pry on the metal. After a while I finally got the seal out as a mangled mess. But then I looked and saw that there seems to be an inner ring seal behind the first. And I scratched up the seal surface a bit too. How on earth do these come out? And is there two parts or what. Very frusturated. Thanks for any help.

IIRC, there is a c-clip, a washer, and then the seal. What I do is use c-clip puller to get the clip out, pull the washer out, then use a tire iron as a seal puller...of course a real seal puller would work better
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Thanks for the response. I got the seals out, but not so well. The second one I used the dremel to cut through the edge sticking up. Then I drove a screw driver under the cut to bend up that part of the seal. I wouldn't recommend this though. Not surprisingly I got a nice screwdriver indentation. Guess I'll put a little silicon around the new seal when I put it in.

Comment

Here is what works for me: put a rag over half the tube opening to protect the lip of the fork. Take a spanner (wrench) and put one side of the open end beneath the seal so that when you pry on it, it will force the seal out. THen take some sort of extension( I use a semi smashed piece of electrical conduit) to achieve the extra torque. Just give it a whack downward and the seal pops out every time. When installing new seals, put them in the freezer and put the forks in a pot of boiling water.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
        X