whose got winter projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whose got winter projects?

Well, up here in the great white north the days are getting shorter and colder as much as it hurts to put the XS into hibernation for the winter, it will give me a chance to catch up on things with her (always find the silver lining, right?)

the list includes, but is not limited to:

-fork rebuild with new oil and seals
    -inspect and adjust head bearings
    -grease driveshaft splines
    -dissassemble, inspect, and bleed rear brake system
    -swap right front rotor for rear rotor (front one has a slight warp which i hope will be less noticable when its on the rear)
    -work on some kind of removable hard luggage system

So, whats on everyone else's lists?

btw, I dont want to hear about any of you that live somwhere that stays warm year round- too dang depressing -- but if you must, I suppose I'd rub it in too
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

OK... first on the list is...

1. Crying.. great riding weather and the bike still won't run more than 50m
    2. Replace TCI
    3. New left crank side oil seal.
    4. New rubber gaskets for valve cover.
    5. New/used handlebars... a bit higher.
    6. New tires
    7. New exhaust
    8. Fix the seat... leaks water thru the stitches. Any ideas?
    9. A good carb/valve session
    10. Make mountings for hardbags and topcase.
    11. Make new engine guards.
    12. re-chrome rear fender and rear light mounting.
    13. install fork brace
    14. new fork springs and rear shocks
    15. fix the BMW fairing and install on the bike
    16. New neutral switch
    17. fork oil seals leak.... when standing still there's a puddle of oil under there... thaught it was brake fluid.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

My list seems small this year.

1) Repaint tank, and side covers.
      2) Routine maintance
      3) Install engine guards
      4) New seat
      5) Drink beer and stare at bike while swearing at the snow falling outside my garage.
      1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

I have 2 majors and 3 minor:

2nd gear fix...have replacement gears cut for the 2nd spacer, gaskets, and parts.

Cruise control install...using a SAAB vacuum pump for vacuum source. Have all parts (I hope) needed. Rosta brand.

Jardine 4 into 2 exhaust (used) has been sitting in my garage for about a year, didn't get to it last winter. Would like to install it using OEM XJ pipes, will see how it goes.

160 MPH speedo upgrade...now have a working speedo, need to pull my modified face plate from the old one and get them sent off and calibrated.

Get heel/toe shifter set-up or forward contols to go along with the mini-floorboards I installed a while back.

While not as harsh here in AZ as Wisconsin, several days this week had below freezing temps in the AM and we do get snow. Winter is shorter, though, so I can usualy ride later in the fall and earlier in the spring. I prefer above freezing and dry, though have been know to take a ride on a 'brisk' day...(below freezing).....if the roads are OK.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Quote from Jerry
          using a SAAB vacuum pump for vacuum source.
          Just curious . . . why? I have done the cruise control thing on my Valkyrie, an 1100 Gold wing . . . and a suzuki 750. The controls do not use much vacuum . . . and there was always plenty available for the cruise. Made a small reservoir out of PVC pipe, and used a one way valve . . .
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

My winter project:

CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer

Comment

I thought that was last winter's project, Daniel!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Well . . . it was . . . and also next's . . . and the one after that . . . .
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer

Comment

Nice truck... just dump the crap on the trailer.

LP

PS: I hope nobody took me seriously... and even so... I live far far away
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Winter Projects........

I always have projects, most make me want to give myself a cranial lead injection but as for the bike, I have the 2nd gear fix to do, got a different tach/spedo, my old one was a 85mph, and the new one is 160, also the old tach stopped at about 5500 and just bounced between 5000 and 5500 no matter what RPM you wound it up to??? Hopefully the new one won't, I am going to try to switch back to a airbox, from these 4 K&N's but might have some jetting and carb work involved also, I have to pull off my seat cover and resew it. Other then that just alot of cleaning, and maybe fresh paint.

I also have a S-10 V-8 project going, gonna put about 300-350 hp into my shortbox 2wd !! I also have a trike to tinker with for my kiddo, 85 ATC Honda 70, I just brought home a Gilson Tractor today, so that will get some time, and just the maitenence on the Blazer, Cavalier, Tarus, Probe, Citation. I have about 5 months of winter, and there is snow on the ground right now!!
                    1980 XS 1100 Special SG
                    "White Lightning"

Comment

SAAB vacuum pump...
                      1. No messing with fabricating a resevoir.
                      2. Small size...plan to mount it in the Vetter fairing.
                      3. No need to attach it to the engine or route vacuum lines from engine.
                      4. Consistent vacuum at all RPM ranges.
                      5. Just a little different approach.

Seriously, I hope to mount the vacuum pump and actuator both in the Vetter, making the install invisable.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Winter stuff to do

First big motivator is that the XS is running now for the first time in years.

Been a garage ornament and something friends joked about for quite a few years since:

1. 5th gear going AWOL - rebuild twice to fix (long story)
                        2. Crank big end on #3 going - rebuild after sending off crank.
                        3. Clutch basket disintegrating after someone ( - could be me!) didn't put the tab washer back properly on the primary gear that drives the clutch – Doh – rebuild engine to clear out aluminium swarf.

So this winter - which is definitely in the early stages here already.

1. See if I can replace the original air-box and it still runs (was having trouble).

2. Mod the hoses to run without that damn octopus thing.

3. Be a good boy and rebuild the forks as I got it through the last MOT (the UK yearly road-worthiness check) with bits of rags stuffed under the fork dust covers

4. rebuild the brake calipers as they feel pretty wooden after years of standing - and used to be pretty good - or my grip was stronger back then!

That’s about it I suppose - then get a few miles on it to make friends again.

There's also the Z1000 misfire, Guzzi front master cylinder and Sanglas 500 engine rebuild - better get started!

Anyway - if there's anyone out there like me - fixing up the bike is therapeutic on the weekends / evenings, so I should be very chilled out this winter
                        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                        Guzzi 850
                        Z1000

Comment

8. Fix the seat... leaks water thru the stitches. Any ideas?
                          I know they sell seam sealer made for tents.. could work
                          79ish suzuki rm250
                          82 honda cb450sc
                          78 honda cx500
                          72 honda cb175
                          78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Hey Everybody,
                            I think I'm gonna do some riding this winter as the old girl seems to like the weather.
                            I had what seemed to be the "old broken pick-up coil wire" thing going on, but now seems to be ok. ?????
                            I just can't seem to figure out why she will suddenly fire on two, then just as suddenly, back to four.
                            Anyway, other than routine maint. I should be riding ok thru the winter.
                            Hope everyone else gets some riding in as well !!!!
                            Ed C.
                            1980G Factory Full Dress

Comment

1196 kit, cam chain, valve seals and exhaust valves ,main bearings, get rid of stock airbox and fab a ram air out of sheet stainless with one large element.
                              83 xj 1100
                              75 suzook gt750
                              Ed Q.

Comment

Working...
                              X