oil change - torque specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change - torque specs

I changed the oil on my MS and started her up to watch it all pour out from the filter assembly. I bought a new o-ring and would like to know the proper torque spec for the oil filter bolt.

It was most likely due to the o-ring getting pinched when installed...they are a bugger to get in right. Try replacing the o-ring, but this time put some grease on the oil filter cover before inserting the o-ring. Torque shouldn't be very high, but I don't have my manual in front of me.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I got it

My Clymer's manual finally came today and the oil filter bolt gets torqued to 23 ft lbs.

Comment

Hey Bryzx2,

Like Snow said, it wasn't that you had the mounting bolt too loose, but that you didn't have the O-ring positioned properly. That chamber is under a lot of pressure since the oil pump is sending the oil directly to that chamber first before going throughout the rest of the engine!

Along with the large O-ring, there's also a smaller one around the filter bolt. Hopefully you got one of those with your filter as well.

There's also a couple of notches/protrusions on one end of the chamber cover which align with the engine case as the bolt is being tightened up keep the chamber from spinning.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TopCat. I will try that and hopefully get her out this week since the snow from last week is gone and it is finally warming up a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X