no guts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short version

OK, here's some answeres to your questions. Hobby, it runs fine at any speed, but after cruising for a while acts like it's starving for fuel. The PO removed the petcock towers so It's basically on prime all the time, but no fuel leaks. The engine will die if run long enough under a heavy load, i.e. mid revs, uphill with me and backpack as cargo. The fuel lines looked a little long to me when I took the carbs off, will try that fix first. Also a HD mechanic I know said the vacuum boots in the carbs can pinhole and cause a similar problem. Thought I'd check that too. Will give you an update after I finish these. Thanks again!
    Casey
    1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
    "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

I had to double check my manual since I don't have a standard, but I thought it also had a PRIME setting on the petcock.

During your testing, and possibly driving, when it acts up, switch the petcock to PRIME. IF that fixes it, then there's your problem, either your vacuum valve is sticking, not opening all the way, there is a vacuum leak from the intake boot nipple to the petcock, there is a hole in the petcock vacuum diaphragm.

IF it doesn't solve the problem, then pop the tank cap loose and try it. That vent is very small, and can get clogged easily with fuel tarnish/gum from just splashing around against the cap!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Now that you have said that eventually it WILL die, I am on board for the tank vent. Try running with the tank lid open. If it doesn't die, the cap isn't vinting properly
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

TC, without the petcock towers, it is on prine all the time. Only one fuel inlet, not an upper and lower one.
          cloerts, Make sure your float leves are right too.
          Last edited by HobbyMan; 04-09-2007, 02:03 PM.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hobbyman, it's NOT on "prime" all the time, it just draws from the bottom from all settings. Prime on the standard just bypasses the vacuum. If he isn't getting the proper vacuum, or has a leak someplace, it may not pull the valve open all the way. He can then be starving for fuel at high loads, but still run at lower load conditions.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I'm picking the lack of screens could be a problem, the holes and circuits inside are a bit confusing, different flow channels according to where the levers' at, but there's also a tiny breather hole on the outside petcock casing, notice it just below the top right corner, the inside diaghragm has the tiny matching breather hole on it. Diaphragms gotta be installed the right way up to match.

Comment

my bad. Brain fart. I thught I read reserve.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Title still well deserved!

Hey Ray,

Thanks for that. HM, still earning your title I see!
                  Keep at it, I too make mistakes, it's all part of learning!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

gas lines

What is the proper rout from petcock to carbs? I figured out what is happenning, the hoses are pinching off when the tank is bolted down. after leaving the petcocks where should I route the hose? should I cross them to the far carb inlets to avoid angles? How would a guru do it?
                    Casey

Comment

By running the fuel line to carbs on the opposite side of the bike, you can avoid kinking them much better than running the lines to the same side. That is how I have mine plumbed at this time.

Comment

awesome, wil do!
                        Casey

Comment

If you want to you can take that a step furthur by crossing them twice. My fuel lines cross on top of the velocity stacks and go down by the fuel inlets, then come back and cross again with filters on the bottom segments, all leading back to the same side they came from.
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

GUTS!!!

Wohoo!! took off the old fuel lines yesterday and cut some new ones. I passed everything I came up on, and hit 90 on the freeway with the engine still pulling for more! It lives! IT LIVES! Muahahaha (insert thunder and lightning here).
                            Casey

Comment

Trust nothing; check everything.

Hi Casey,
                              the above is my new Mantra. All that fuss'n'feathers and all it took to get the awesome power back was a yard of new fuel hose. Had my fuel tap filter tower fall out on my XS650, which has the identical fuel tap to the XS1100. Like high blood pressure, it's a symptom-free condition until you have a heart attack or your bike runs out of gas because the reserve you thought you had has already been used. Plus the XS650 ain't got a gas gauge or even a red light to warn you. And with the filter tower fallen out on my bike or PO removed on yours, the fuel is not getting filtered at all. And that's a bad thing.
                              I'd say good in-line fuel filters are an immediate fix and looking round for replacement filter towers would be a good idea if only to get back the fuel reserve setting.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X