Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This bikes got some balls! How long will the fun last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I bought mine, it had old, cracked, flat rubber on it. I got it running (poorly compared to how it runs now) and took it around the block. I live on the border of the country so as soon as I got off my street, I was in the sticks (not litterally) I was coming to a corner and slowed to turn, made my turn and acellerated out of it. I though the rear tire had broken traction and that I was leaving tracks behind me, but then it got more and more squirrley. bu the rime I got within a half mile of my house, the rear tire was just about comletely flat. I limped it home and didn't ride it again till I got new ruuber on it. scared me enough that when I got the new rear tire mounted, I put a knife through the old front still on the bike so I would not be tempted to ride until I got the new front on also. be careful, very careful. blow outs are bad. be safe.
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

i'm not defending my desicion at all, i'm just frugal as hell, there may be a backlash, the p o, kept the bike inside and i think but not sure ozone eats away at rubber, this was not the enviroment my tires were in. i think he has tubes in them maybe that is an extra layer of safety?

that said, i bought the new tires and will find the time to off the front wheel, i had that baby off for drilling discs, lubing steering head, front wheel bearings, 3 times not counting the pinch bolt snapping off debacle, and finally got it running from a bad sync, that was 2 long weeks of searching for an answer, i need a wrenching break.
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Thats why my Dad and I have six motorcycles. Work then ride the SAME day
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

hey Dad2g5 glad that your ok ive decided that im not taking her out till the new spitfires are mounted!

Comment

It's actually the sunlight (UV) that really eats tires up. I am sure they dry out over time as well, but i have never had trouble on tires that are 10yrs old or more.

The tires on My Monte Carlo were put on in 1997, and I drag raced it up until a few years ago. Last fall I took it out on the highway for a run before I put it away for the winter and one or more of the tires is seperating. It shakes like a paint mixer between 90-110kph.

On my 73 GT-750 the tires are likely at least 15yrs old if not more, they may be original, it only has 16,000 miles on it. I took it out and it hopped pretty good at 80mph, so I wouldn't ride it very far on these tires.

Basically, as long as they are not really badly cracked up, and they still balance fine, I don't have a problem. Usually tires will start to go out of balance long before they actually blow out.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

i don't know what you mean by going out of balance, you mean wear funny hence effecting balance?

well i can't for the life of me find any weights on my 18 year old balance job and had a ride reaching 110 mph and 70 to 80 in the turns,with planedick, without a hint of misbehavin'

i can't wait to see what the spitfires will do
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

No they jump up and down while your cruising down the highway. They can get so bad they shake your teeth out.

It's caused by the tires seperating, internally. The belts are actually coming apart from each other.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                X