Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This bikes got some balls! How long will the fun last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This bikes got some balls! How long will the fun last?

Wow this is truly incredible! I am completely amazed by this bike. As you may know I finally got the XJ on the road and have been riding her the last few days to work etc. In only about 50 short miles or so I have really fallen in love with this bike. I havent ridden as much as i want to yet because im still waiting for those new bridgestone spitfires to be mounted. Yes im still riding on 25 year old stock oem tires. Anyway Im really glad to have one of these bikes and glad to be a part of this community.

So I decided to give her a fist full of throttle out of 2nd gear and I couldnt beleive how much pull this bike has. Its such a different feeling than being on my 600 bandit. The front brake is a bit "soft" hopefully ill be able to get SS brake lines on it sometime next year.

My real question is this. Im enjoying this bike so much now. How long will this last? Ive noticed such a huge ammount of threads regarding carb related woes. what is it age of our bikes? The fact that alot of them have been sitting? Poor carb design? Now that my carbs are solid and clean how long can I expect them to stay that way before they need to be rebuilt? I guess I just want to keep this bike rolling as long as i can without having to constantly tear it apart? Your thoughts.

I'd say as long as you keep riding her, the carbs should be fine if they are in decent shape now. Carb problems are usually a result of sitting either dry or with gas in them.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Lack of use is the bane of older bikes. Yor carbs should be fine if you don't let it sit for extended periods with out using a fuel satbilizer. A dose of Berrymans B12 in the pourabe can, or a product called Seafoam every once in a while will help to keep the carbs clean during season. Having lived in Chicago area for a while, I know the riding season isn't very long, so proper storage will help immensly.

Comment

thats right, machines any machines are made to run or work,it is not a museum piece, so it has to be wrung out, i think the harder the better, it's made and designed for that...

if i were you i'd try to break it, that way you'll know exactly when the fun will stop, the other way, the fun may last forever...
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Ive read the threads about seafoam Im going to look into giving it a try as preventitve maintenece

Comment

Hmm, you didn't mention anything about the front wheel coming up when you grabbed a handful of throttle. That tells me there's still more tuning up you can do. With clean cabs, optimum float levels, correct pilot settings, clean air filter, and an accurate sync, you'll really be having fun!
            Ken Talbot

Comment

you're right ken my front never came up, i guess i'm not having fun yet. and i'm a lousy tuner/rider
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

How long will it last? If your talkin about the rush when you hammer it, I have had mine for many years and still get a fat grin when the tach needle approaches 8k. As far as mechanical, thats anyones guess. Most of the carb problems your read about indeed are from bikes that have laid dormant. I have over 15k since my last carb overhaul (67k now) and you can almost balance a quarter on the tank at idle, still. Use the berrymans or seafoam, stay away from cheap gas (I always use top grade), change the oil at a max of 3k everytime you can and use a first rate oil. Dont forget about the middle gear and final drive oil.

I was fortunate to get my bike from the 1st owner, so I have not had the problems alot of the guys have that have pulled them from near death on the side of someones garage. There is nothing that can go wrong with an XS that someone here has not fixed and everyone is most willing to share information.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I ride my bike year round, and just worked on the carbs once more. I get about 15 to 20K on the carbs, reset the float level and resync the works. other than that, it's oil changes, tires, and plugs now and then.
                  And yea, the front gets VERY light when I grab a handful of throttle, and that's with a fairing.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Believe it or not, the XJ is actually the slowest model of these bikes. I don't think the front end will come up on them from just throttle alone... you'll have to help it with the clutch. BUT... I have witnesses who have seen it done on an XJ a couple weeks ago! lol.
                    Just remember, if you have never been into the transmisssion yet and it's still stock, at some point you will think a machine gun has been mounted to the bike somehow. It's called the 2nd gear problem that these bikes are notorious for... but for some reason, it usually presents itself on the XJ's in first gear. I had help getting mine done when it started (OK.. John pretty much did it while I watched..) but there are no problems now and it's rock solid for launches. It may never happen if you ride it easy... but if you're like most of us... what's the fun in that??

Congratulations.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                      I had help getting mine done when it started (OK.. John pretty much did it while I watched..) but there are no problems now and it's rock solid for launches. It may never happen if you ride it easy... but if you're like most of us... what's the fun in that??

Congratulations.

Tod
                      Yeah, Tod likes to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by John

Yeah, Tod likes to watch.

But does he take good pictures?

I can tell this is gonna get outa hand quick!!!!
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150

But does he take good pictures?

I can tell this is gonna get outa hand quick!!!!
                          Outta hand?

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                            Believe it or not, the XJ is actually the slowest model of these bikes. I don't think the front end will come up on them from just throttle alone... you'll have to help it with the clutch. BUT... I have witnesses who have seen it done on an XJ a couple weeks ago! lol.
                            Just remember, if you have never been into the transmisssion yet and it's still stock, at some point you will think a machine gun has been mounted to the bike somehow. It's called the 2nd gear problem that these bikes are notorious for... but for some reason, it usually presents itself on the XJ's in first gear. I had help getting mine done when it started (OK.. John pretty much did it while I watched..) but there are no problems now and it's rock solid for launches. It may never happen if you ride it easy... but if you're like most of us... what's the fun in that??

Congratulations.

Tod

I just don't understand.... for 6 years and 36,000 miles I wailed the flying piss out of my XS11 and the trans worked like new when I sold it. Full throttle powershifts, wheelies, drag races...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I know Ill be doing my best to preserve the bike the best I can but Ill also be looking forward to opening it up on the highway when i get a chance! I have to say that ive been pretty good about winter storage and maintenance with my other bike with the fuel stabil etc. So I know ill be doing the right thing with the XJ too. But the best point that was made was the fact of all of the people here that have the experience /knowledge to keep these bikes running.

Comment

Working...
                              X