Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This bikes got some balls! How long will the fun last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else concerned that OpFlash is cruising on 25 year old tires? If I were you, I'd keep her in the barn till the new shoes are on.

According to my sources (my dad) rubber hardens with age, due to ozone (from the sun when outside and from electric motors if stored near them inside). It becomes more brittle and more likely to crack/break. Not trying to be a pessimist here, but bottom line is, whatever you do man, be careful.
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Thanks for the concern. This has also been on the back of my mind while riding. I just couldnt contain myself and had to take the bike out a couple of times. Thankfully the new spitfires came in the mail late today. I should be looking for some time this weekend to pull off the wheels and switch over the old rubbers for the new. Hey anyone know if you can place the bike on a jack without having to remove the exhaust? I want to take both wheels off at the same time to take them to the shop. Looking to save some time if i can.

Comment

Stock pipes???

Think XJ has exhaust like specials.
        Should come off w/o removing exhaust.

I've taken the rear wheel off a standard just by removeing rear bracket bolts.

mro

Comment

my concern is what happens when i remove both wheels. Id rather have the bike balanced on a motorcycle jack than the centerstand and blocks of wood. Im curious if the exhaust needs to be removed to jack it up or if theres some other tricks or tips.

Comment

I've had my XS off of both wheels by putting it on the center stand and then jacking it up (with the aid of a cut peice of 2x4) on the crossbar of the frame behind the header pipes. I imagine an XJ would work like that, too.
            80 XS1100SG
            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Ill second that. A piece of 2x4 with a slight V notch works very well to hold up the front end while you've got it sitting on the centrestand. Put it on the centrestand first, then have SWMBO sit on it to rock it backwards while you place the 2x4.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

i've been riding on 18 year old rubber, kept inside, has cracks and is wearing fast albeit not funny for what i started with, old rubber may wear faster, less oils?

i finger that they are older dunlops tour and can handle a load by the multiply sidewalls, since i've gone naked and i'm a flywieght at 135, the stress these tire are made for is halfed even if the load bearing is halved by the vintage, i know i'm taking a risk, hey top cat rode 10 yr old stuff to balding.

i too am staring at a set of spitfires in my living room, the fronts go on first, hey i have a question, people with tubes or not carry tire changing irons and repair accruchements on the road, yet i hear time and again how hard it is to wrestle with the tire, except for maximan, i guess on the roadside you don't have a choice but to remove the beads on a punctured tube, but at your liesure wuld avoid doing it yourself.
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I use centerstand and a metal jackstand under the from frame X-member. I'd cry if the 2X4 split down the middle.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I believe that 'spongy' front brake is mostly because the XJs activate only 1 front caliper from the hand lever while the other one is hooked to your rear brake pedal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by mason79
                      i've been riding on 18 year old rubber, kept inside, has cracks and is wearing fast albeit not funny for what i started with, old rubber may wear faster, less oils?

i finger that they are older dunlops tour and can handle a load by the multiply sidewalls, since i've gone naked and i'm a flywieght at 135, the stress these tire are made for is halfed even if the load bearing is halved by the vintage, i know i'm taking a risk, hey top cat rode 10 yr old stuff to balding.

i too am staring at a set of spitfires in my living room, the fronts go on first.
                      Hey Mason,

I'm sure I notated that this incident was in my younger ignorance, before XS11.com! Tod/TrBig has a nice story about a rear tire blowout, tank slapping incident, ended up with a happy ending, but could have been much worse. And yes, a front tire unexpected deflation would be even worse, hence your wise choice of replacing it first.

Glad you've made it to 50 safely.....so far. I'll be there next year!

Concours, your bike is just getting to the mileage where the abuse your tranny had suffered would be beginning to present itself. Mine acted up around an estimated 50K miles and 9 years. I didn't beat it up every day, but did aggressively accellerate on many occasion!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Nothing worse than having catastrophic tire failure at 75 MPH....hell at 15 MPH it's even a bit disconcerting. Riding on cracked sidewalls is a crap shoot at best. I'd rather have a new set of cheng shins and change them out every six months than risk dry rotted tires. scarey stuff............................................. .....
                        XSRIK
                        79 XS1100F "Talkin' 'bout shaft"

77 CB750 A "Dumpster classic" aka "Rattus Ottomaticus"

Comment

With a little help the fun will last a life time ... if you let it.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

hey top cat you were never young and dumb, young maybe but never dumb, i 'd say your thrifty side took over, mine does, i don't know if it qualifies as a demon, it would if i blew a tire though.

let's not push it, i'm 48 and a young one at that, if you saw my tires you'd say they were good to go, i heard even new tires show cracking, and i heard the don't really blow just loose air.

yes i will put the spitfires soon!! i appreiciate the wise words as always.
                            Last edited by mason79; 03-31-2007, 11:05 AM.
                            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Tires Very important. my 79 XS is very fast on 14yr old tires. me being ignorant speeding around on them just spilled bout 30 minutes ago. I'm OK bike needs turn signals, clutch lever and left side engine cover. Anybody got these parst?
                              1979 XS Eleven
                              4-1 Mac Exhaust
                              Kuryaken Handgrips
                              Crash Bars

Comment

Irony rears it's ugly dry rotted head
                                xsrik
                                79 XS1100F "Talkin' 'bout shaft"

77 CB750 A "Dumpster classic" aka "Rattus Ottomaticus"

Comment

Working...
                                X