Clutch from bad to worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lorax,

No, the tech tip and consensus is only the extra steel, they are placed next to each other in the middle of the pack. There's barely enough room in the pack with the extra steel, I'm surprised there was room for the extra friction as well?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The manual states 8 friction plates and only 7 steel plates
      So when you add the extra steel in the middle you will have 8 of each, just make sure you have fiber on the outsides of the basket
      Unlike I did

Comment

No room for another friction, so just double up on 2 steels together, steels don't spin, only the frictions do - or is it the other way round, can't quite remember, I tried one steel and one friction added to the outside, they packed in OK, but no room for the plunger to work properly, clutch lever won't pull right in, a double steel and good springs is all you need, springs eventually get weak, just slam in new springs whenever needed, I slam in new springs every year or two, have used an extra steel plate for years on my hotted XS, works a treat.

Comment

They all fit because they were all well under tolerance. as I was removing them, the friction discs were losing their lining in chunks. it was a little beyond bazaar. I set it up as stock when I put it back together, but I actually had 9 and 8 instead of 8 and 7....go figure, nothing about this machine has been even remotely normal. I guess its kind of like our respective other halves, we love them not inspite of but because of their imperfections. anyway, I believe I'm hooked on this beast
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Is the adding of this extra steel plate in the middle just to account for wear on the entire set of steel and fiber plates? Or ... is this something that increases the clutches performance and can be done even if the clutch plates are new?
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob,

Partly for older baskets that may have seen some wear on the Pressure Plates, but I did it with new frictions, and new springs, the steels were old, but not really worn, could still easily see the dimple pattern on the surface, the frictions are what really wear down. Provides a very strong "bite" for those high revs.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OK both my clutches have steel plates with good well defined dimple patterns so I will guess that I'm good to go with my current steel plates.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                X