Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older now

These machines are 30 yrs old and the pump doesn't pump the pressure or flow it did when new and cooling the oil makes more pressure and it carries lots of heat away from the engine. I'm sure hobbyman knows from his experience with model engines. More oil in the fuel means a cooler engine. Also with a oil cooler there is a larger quantity of oil in the engine as it takes more to keep the lines and cooler full and still have a full sump where the pump is. Since the engine is older and tolerances are usually greater cooler oil helps keep things from wearing out so quick. I still believe in them and am still looking for an adaptor.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Back in 1980, the magazine ad showed a guy with a bubble above his helmet that read "Sure glad i got my Lockhart system" to show the peace of mind that the extra cooling protection offered.

My humble opinion is most assuredly an oil cooler is a good upgrade with no drawbacks. Even without the thermostatic valve, thermal transfer is self-governing. That is; the greater the temp differential, the greater the heat transfer.

Comment

i support your decision, everyone has their own beliefs, and i am all for pro choice, new yamaha v twins do not come with oil coolers,

and yamaha knows a thing or 2 about building this stuff, you maybe right with the worn out parts, giving lower oil pressure, i don't know

i don't feel low is nessearily a recipe for metal to metal contact with the bearing, meaning i don't think it takes much pressure to properly support journals away from bearing surfaces.
        worn out or contaminate oil will compromise your engine and that is the goal of cooling it to retain it's engeneered properties.
        not cool oil itself but the properties whether hot or cooled
        maybe the oil cooler may add miles and longevity to the back end life of the motor, but so does, state of tune,tune ups, scheduled oil changes, non abusive riding, leaky petcocks with ensueing gasoline baths,too many factors to quantify how if any the additional cooling contributes to your piece of a$$ or $hit oh i meant mind.

hey if it floats your boat , i won't rain on your parade
        Last edited by mason79; 03-25-2007, 07:34 PM.
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

planedick- your definitetly right about those model airplane engines. I have some that are as old or older than my XS. I buy the maximum oil content and no more than %10 nitro.

Put two engines in a vented room. One with oil cooler and one without. Guess which one will go the longest before completely seizing. Even with little or no airflow, the more metal the oil makes contact with outside the engine will drop the temperature down. That oil now feeds the engine. My school has an infared temperature probe in the tech systems lab. The teacher is a member of my model airplane RC club. He and I are very good friends so he might let me borrow it for a little while. I will try to get some statistics on how much it actually cools the oil.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Ok Guys, Thanks for the info!

Ok thanks Guys! I see I started a real discussion here over this Oil Cooler Idea. I appreciate all the info and ideas. After all the discussion and ideas I have finally drawn a conclusion.... I will forget about worrying about cooler oil and sew in a couple of computer fans under each armpit in my leather jacket for those two or three hot days we get up here in the Northland!!!!!!

All kidding aside, thanks again for all of your input!! Stay Cool!
            Cam

Comment

yes i belive the protective qualities of oils just don't simply disapear with the shock of high temperatures or even an occasianal overheating or 2, heck lots of you's folk run lean or right or rich depending on your mechanical abilies, i'm lame and ran hot for the longest.

for chris sakes the enviroment in that motor is brutal ;as in hell, always has been,why do you think they use oil in the first place, and not water.

is modern; read: sae sl a hoax or is there credence and purpose for the industry to continually modernize our lubricants.

oil i think degrades with use, it is sacraficial, oil coolers delay but not eliminate degradation, what so your not going to change your oil for nuther thou? heck i think my mercedes's first oil change is 12,000 miles, with no break it, is that engine or oil?
              you tell me?

i think for our survivors' of an engine from yesteryear, born in the days of when straight thirty weight was a commonplace, live to see the zero weight oils, may only benefit to a comprable degree with new oils
              to cooling via periphrial apparatus.
              Last edited by mason79; 03-25-2007, 10:22 PM.
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Oil Cooler

Right then, well stated, carry on
                Cam

Comment

Here in the UK and Europe we simply ride down between the traffic lanes, so engine overheating is not an issue.

Is doing that illegal over your side of the world?

OR is it coz European XS's came with oil coolers as standard that we don't have an issue with overheating?

I've never ran an XS without an oil cooler but have a smaller XS750 cooler to go on my project bike, just wondered how it may affect the engine
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Oil cooler

I'm quite sure it is illegal here in Ontario, Canada to ride that way but I wouldn't anyway because the drivers here have absolutely no sense of humour about a motorcyclist doing that and also half the time wouldn't even know you're there!!

I guess I opened up a real can of worms with my question!! Sorry guys but it did make for a great entertaining discussion didn't it!!?

I think that I found my answer and that is I agree that with regular oil changes and the quality of oil now days, an engine running hot should be no problem. Unless you are in extreme heat areas all the time.

Keep ridin' and stay cool with your oil!!
                    Cam

Comment

I havn't yet picked up the tempurature sensor. Today while I was riding, I took of my gloves to feel the hose fittings. Here is my setup:

I just about put a big welt on my hand it was soo hot. I did not expect this because it was only about 10min of light traffic maby 50mph. Have you ever accidentaly touched an electric stove? I was able to feel just behind the cooler and there was not very much air flow but it sure was hot. Now I am looking up solutions for a good fan unit that would run from a hidden switch. I don't think I rember anyone mentioning why Yamaha put a factory cooler on in '81. It is still the same engine am I not correct? They must have done this for some reason.
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Lesson learned...

Maybe by '81 they found out it was necessary. Even "factory" people can learn given enough time. He He He
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Here is a fan controller you might find interesting. Fan speed controller
                          Don't know what the temperature range is though.
                          Nubee

Comment

I was looking at some of those on eBay. The temperature range is much too low. When I finally get around to getting the infrared thermometer, I can find out what I need. I am having a hard time finding a fan. There are no automotive type fans for this that are small enough. CPU fans do not move enough air and if they do they are like $30 and plastic. I may end up going down to my local RC Hobby Shop to pick up a $10 motor and prop. That would let me mount it right on the frame cross bar behind the cooler. It would be much more work so it is a last resort. Someone has to have the right fan sitting on a shelf somewhere just waiting for me to find it.
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

HobbyMan,
                              Will an8" fan work?
                              Here is the thermostat.
                              Nubee

Comment

The biggest fan I can fit is about 6 in.
                                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                                X