I have had it with my XS-11!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have had it with my XS-11!

I still havent figured out why the bike runs for about 10-15 minutes then loses power. I had a shade tree motorcycle mechanic check it out and he doesnt know what the problem is either, If anyone here lives in arkansas, I am going to list it in the paper as a project bike. 1978 XS with only has 22,000 miles on it. I dont have the time or patience to mess with it. I really hoped I could have got her running. I have owned two 1978 XS-1100E and two 1979 XS-1100 specials and never had any problems with them over the years. I will let you know if it doesnt sell then I will part it out.
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1979 Yamaha XS-1100 Special
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1984 Honda V-65 Magna
    1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
    1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
    1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    2003 Suzuki Katana 750
    2006 SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300R

Tank cap...

Sounds like the gas tank cap vent is plugged.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

how much?

Where are you in arkasas i'm interested . mike

Comment

Does it stop running? If so, could also be coils. Could also be pickup coils wires, but that would be more intermittent and less patterned.
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Re: Tank cap...

Originally posted by planedick
          Sounds like the gas tank cap vent is plugged.
          What he said.
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

the bike runs for about 10-15 minutes then loses power.
            Loses power, or dies?
            On the road riding, or sitting there idling?
            If it dies... will it restart immediately?
            If it doesn't restart immediately... is it getting spark at that time?
            Is the fuel tank extremely rusted inside?
            If it dies and you immediately drain one of the float bowls, how much fuel comes out?
            But most importantly...
            I had a shade tree motorcycle mechanic check it out
            What kind of tree was it?
            Deciduous or coniferous?
            Had it been properly pruned?
            Is there an old tire hangin' from a rope on it?
            (Do you wish I were hangin' from a rope on it?)
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Your fuel lines could routed wrong angf crimping the fuel flow. Look at some of the charts on this site for proper routing.
              "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Sounds like I need a road trip. I could come up and help you check things out. Check your coil resistance. Don't give up on the bike yet.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

tank cap

Three minutes after reading that a light goes on three feet above my head...... geez that makes perfect sense.

at first I just took their word for that being a possibility.

Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                  S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                  1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

But most importantly...
                    best chuckel I've had today..........

tanks P rom

mro

Comment

That is why Prom is one of the most valuable members on this site.
                      Could a ballast resistor become intermittent when its hot? Theoretically that might cause it. It gets hot, opens the circuit, you restart fine without it, then it gets hot again and quits. Again, all theory
                      Last edited by HobbyMan; 03-25-2007, 02:03 AM.
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Walter,

Come on guy, having owned 4 of these machines, you know they are worth it. However, when was it that you owned the previoius machines, 10-20 years ago? Bikes, mechanicals, electrics all age and can give problems.

Along with the fine suggestions, one that is overlooked is the tipover switch under the tank near the front of the frame, usually above the igntion coils. You can unplug it to test the problem. Had a fellow rally rider from Canada with that problem, finally unplugged it, and he was able to make it back home without a problem!

Keep it, and keep at it, "parting" is such sweet sorrow!
                        T.C.

PS, Hey Prom, that would be the only way you could boast that you were "Well Hung"! :P
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Me again

Ok let me see where to start, I bought a great original tank with no rust, But the left petcock will let fuel flow no matter where you turn the valve so its bad, the other one work fine,only fuel comes out of it when you turn the engine over. I hooked up my air hose to the tank vent hose and blew out all the trash before starting. The tank cost me 150.00 of ebay. its maroon and needs repainting but the inside is like new,no coating etc, I replaced both coils off of a donor because one coil was bad. Cleaned the carbs because the wouldnt even move! now they work, When it comes to the pick up coil, I havent tried testing that yet. You can ride it for about 15 minutes and it runs strong, but after that here comes the poping in the exhaust and so it will die. I bought this bike in October 2006 to try to restore it but I am losing my patience!! My first motorcycle was a 1978 XS 11 I bought when I was 18 in 1988. Then thru the years had three more XS'S, 1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100, 1984 honda V-65 Sabre,1984 V-65 magna, 2003 suzuki katana 750, Which I really didnt like the horse power but They would only approve for around 8,000 credit limit then so I was like I am leaving here on something,lol . I think the XS could take the 750 katana. And now my current bike ,2006 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300R. Any way thats all the bikes Ive owned to date. I live in Ward, Arkansas if anyone else wants to try to fix her. The bike only has 22,000 miles and I bought from a friend who left her out in the elements,I did alot of little things too to get up and running.to much to list. But if anyone is interested I am going to list in the local paper for 700.00. Thanks for all of you help through these month's but I think I will sell this one and find one that isnt such a pain in the butt.
                          1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                          1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                          1984 Honda V-65 Magna
                          1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
                          1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
                          1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                          2003 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

I think I understand why some folks come to the site and swear up and down that the xs is junk here amidst all this eleven love. having been trying to get my buddies '77kz1000 up and running for years now, I have come to the PERSONAL conclusion that kz's are crap. Yet, they have a following that is probably larger than ours. I guess sometimes it is just "one bad apple." I am holding out faith that when we finally figure out what the hell is qrong with it, it will be an awesome bike and I too will understand why so many folks love I bike that I currently hate.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Believe me I love the old XS Elevens! I am no mechanic either, I love to tinker with stuff trying to get stuff to run but this bike has got me stumped. You should have seen it when I first got this bike! It looked like crap, Sat out in the elements for years, Tires flat, Rear brake stuck to the rotor, Carbs frozen, etc,, It was a real SAD site. I could not believe someone could do that to a great motorcycle. So I bought it hoping to get it back on the road again. I love my busa,but,,,,, I really love the XS-11's too. Alot of great memories with that bike. If I had a truck I would try to find a good shop nto take it too, But I dont, So I am stuck with trying to fix it myself. Which I was doing great up until now. She sounds Great when shes running down the road but its like some turning the key off and she loses power and is a real pain to try to get her started again! I have even went into the garage and threated to sell her if she does'nt act right,But it didnt help.lol,, I am losing was left of my hair
                              1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                              1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                              1984 Honda V-65 Magna
                              1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
                              1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
                              1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
                              2003 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X