problems again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: petcock

Good point. OK, try this...with petcock set to "RUN" disconnect the fuel line from the offending petcock and put another fuel line to it and rout it to a collector cup. Then suck on the vacuum tube to see it it opens flow. There is a small check valve built into the petcock towards the vacuum nipple and it mak be plugged.

Originally posted by xsscooters
    i've had it apart 3 times i"m positive its right . If it was put together wrong why did it work for almost a month before it messed up ?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

flooding

You are correct the engine does flood randomly and gas will flow from main and res but not prime when the engines off. i think theese are the original petcocks..

Comment

Something sounds altogether wrong here. Now it almost sounds like you've got a Standard tank, with original Standard petcocks, on a Special bike.

The petcocks from a Special flow the same all the time, whether or not the engine is running, because they do not have vacuum operated diaphragms.

The petcocks from a Standard should only flow from ON or RESERVE when vacuum is applied to the internal diaphragm, and they should flow from PRIME without any vacuum. If a Standard petcock only flows from PRIME with the engine running, and will not frlow from ON or RESERVE with the engine running, it has been assembled wrong.

Maybe we need to step back from this for a minute, gather our thoughts, and start over. Is there any way you can post some digital photos of your petcocks and your fuel and vacuum line plumbing?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

pics

I'll try to get a pic on here i upgraded my computer to windows Vista and have had a ton of problems. the petcocks and tank are from a special i have a 78 standard and they are not the same for sure.

Comment

Special Petcocks

1. the petcocks are stamped L and R for Left-side and Right-side respectively - at least they are on my LH.

2. with all hoses disconnected from the petcock, fuel should flow from the REAR nipple when turned to ON or RES. fuel should flow from the FRONT nipple when turned to PRI.

If fuel used to flow in PRI, but stopped working, either its tower (underneath the petcock filter in the tank) has become blocked or plugged.....or the disc in the petcock is bad.

I'm leaning towards the petcock disc being bad especially since you are having some flooding problems.

Of course, if you remove the "special" octopus and route fuel lines accordingly, there is no need for the PRI position.
            Last edited by Brian_D; 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X