No announcement yet.

problems again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That "CHH" sound "may" be a head gasket and if you don't have compression that cylinder will not run well if at all.
    Do a compression test to confirm that the head gasket and for that matter the valve seats are good.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

petcock

The bike runs perfect with the petcocks on prime mainly the left one . I'm going to take them both apart tomorrow . When its on prime does it have continous gas flow ? I also foung out what the CH sound was there was a hairline crack in the the no 2 cyclinder spark plug ceramic like to never found it .

Comment

Yes on prime you have continual fuel supply. glad to hear that the "CHH" sound was not a gasket
        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Prime

Why would the bike run perfect on prime and not on reserve or on main ? i took the petcock apart it was kinda dirty but seems fine . I missing something here ... Mike

Comment

Because on "prime" the fuel is free flowing without the need or assistance of vacuum from the engine. If the engine is running good on prime but not on the other settings then I would say that your search for your problem should start with the petcocks and or vacuum supply lines. The petcocks must be very clean to work correctly. Also check that the air supply hole in the gas cap is not plugged.
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: Prime

Originally posted by xsscooters
              Why would the bike run perfect on prime and not on reserve or on main ? i took the petcock apart it was kinda dirty but seems fine . I missing something here ... Mike
              Looking at your profile, I see you've got a Special. Petcocks on a Special are pretty simple devices. More often, the octopus will give you trouble. For instance, if you do not have all that mess of plumbing correct, you may not vacuum to the diaphragm in the octopus, and you will not get any fuel flow. How confident are you in the routing of all the hoses, and in the condition of the octopus?
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken

It does'nt have the octopus anymore . The petcocks look fine but i ordered rebuild kits gonna try that... mike

Comment

Have you tried checking petcock operation with the tank off of the bike? Use some clear tube on each nipple and see what is actually happening as you cycle the petcock handles through their various positions. Sometimes these can be reassembled with parts mixed up from left side to right, and things don't work the way they're supposed to.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

petcocks

yes i have tryed that gas flows freely on main and reserve but not on prime. thats what i can't figure out because it will only run on prime this is on the left petcock only the right one works fine .

Comment

The petcock that doesn't flow... IIRC, there is a disc in there that has three holes in it. Something like 12 o'clock, 3:00, and 6:00. My bet is that when it's turned to Prime, 9:00 (no hole) is keeping the fuel from getting down the fuel line.

Take it apart and figure out where each of the 3 holes in the handle piece of the petcock is and rotate the disc to match. It should work okay then.
                      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Re: petcocks

Originally posted by xsscooters
                        yes i have tryed that gas flows freely on main and reserve but not on prime. thats what i can't figure out because it will only run on prime this is on the left petcock only the right one works fine .
                        Any chance the ring on the petcock that has the functions stamped in it, OR the petcock handle may have been switched at some point in time? That is what it sounds like to me.
                        Last edited by John; 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the petcocks are messed up somehow. Perhaps they were taken apart by others and not put back together properly. You should have no gas flow from on and reserve with the engine not running and only see fuel flow in the prime position. Also keep in mind the petcock function is what is UNDER the lever arm in any position.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Read Ken Talbot's reply. I have mixed-up the handles on rebuilds before on a standard. They are not interchangable!
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

petcock

i've had it apart 3 times i"m positive its right . If it was put together wrong why did it work for almost a month before it messed up ?

Comment

OK you say the bike runs good in the prime position and also say that the prime position is the only position that will not allow fuel to flow when the tank is off the bike or the engine is not running.. If this is correct then I will have to conclude that the engine is being flooded at random times when the fuel petcock is set to anything other then prime. For whatever reason prime is working like on and reserve should. If a fix can not be found just run the bike in prime so long as fuel is in fact not flowing when the engine is off. also ... are these original petcocks?
                                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                                1978 XS500E
                                1979 XS1100F Restored
                                1980 XS1100 SG
                                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                                X